Wildflower mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage4all

Reaction score
Started my mead today. 5 gallons of filtered water 13# of honey SG at 1.085. Added 3pounds of white sugar brought SG up to 1.100. 1/4tsp kmeta. Will add yeast lalvin ec-1118 tomorrow. Since just discovered I'm out of D47.

1455768082198.jpg

Day 4 sg1.080 smelling very yeasty burying the honey aroma but it will come forward later. Temp 79

Mite want to give it a bit more nutrient. It is coming right along, but the honey doesn't have much for yeast food in it besides the sugars. The nutrient will help keep the yeast healthy and let it finish the ferment out. Arne.

SG 1.065 Added the nutrients today my bucket almost wasn't big enough. Major foaming! note to self add and stir more slowly in the future.

don't want to divert this thread but am I correct in that when using honey you're saying you need more nutrient to make up for using honey instead of sugar??
richard::

QUOTE=Arne;597460]Mite want to give it a bit more nutrient. It is coming right along, but the honey doesn't have much for yeast food in it besides the sugars. The nutrient will help keep the yeast healthy and let it finish the ferment out. Arne.[/QUOTE]

Honey has nutrients but it being a preservative they are hard for the yeast to feed on as I understand it. So adding the nutrients help keep the yeast thriving so as to not stall the fermentation.

thank you.
the more I attempt to learn the more I know for a fact I don't know.
but one must always try and see what's over the net hill. I have been wishing to attempt a mead, a cherry mead, so I put your thread in my subscription list,
I feel it will help me lean.
have a blessed day

Honey has nutrients but it being a preservative they are hard for the yeast to feed on as I understand it. So adding the nutrients help keep the yeast thriving so as to not stall the fermentation.

SG 1.065 Added the nutrients today my bucket almost wasn't big enough. Major foaming! note to self add and stir more slowly in the future.

If you had been fermenting in the carboy you would have had the non pleasure of the wine volcano. Major cleanup. If you are fermenting over a nice floor covering and your fermenter is close to being full, I would put it in a tub or other container that will catch spills if it goes over. Even a big garbage bag pulled up a bit around the bottom will maybe save your tail, especially if there is a neatnik swmbo in your life. Arne.

don't want to divert this thread but am I correct in that when using honey you're saying you need more nutrient to make up for using honey instead of sugar??

On most all of my ferments, using honey or sugar, I get my origional s.g. up around 1.085 to 1.100. Add half the nutrient and energizer to the must. Let it ferment down to 1.060 or so and add the other half. As a rule, I don't have much of a problem with it fermenting down. In the winter it mite get really slow as my temps. tend to be on the low side, but they still finish out. Arne.

SG 1.055 today must cooled off to 70° with the cold front yesterday. got to get me a brew belt

SG 1.030 warmed back up to 77°. The heavy yeast smell is fading the floral honey is coming forward. Wife says smells like cooking sweetbread.

SG 1.010 temp 75° last few points creeping on down. Sampled a bit taste like spring flowers smell with the honey tart on the back end.

So where did you go? What happened to the mead. I'm thinking of a Malted sweet mead (Braggot), But like the normal ABV of about 12-ish, and a FG: 1.010 or something.. cloudy, sweet, grainy and spicy... If I do it I'll post it.. Maybe a project for this weekend.

BUT what happened here?

Latest posts

Back