What is this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have these strange things growing on my plant. I have no idea what I'm doing. Simply purchased a grape plant from a local place and wanted to grow some grapes, possibly make some wine next year after learning some more about the health of the plant, etc... but now all it's doing is growing these strange balls. They almost look like a lantern or something and have a large green ball inside of them.

20150827_193649_resized.jpg

Open one up, if it has a small green or light purple fruit inside (though it might be filling up the globe most of the way this late in the year) it's a tomatillo. I recognize the shape and color of the open flowers in your image.

And the large spacing between the nodes means it's either growing in the shade or is a wild one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo

Haha. This is all hilarious. You're all correct, it's apparently a tomatillo plant. The funny part is when I bought it from the local store, it had a cluster of grapes growing on it. The squirrels made quick work of that single cluster of grapes and then it flowered and started growing those things. So I have no idea what the heck happened... Thanks for the input everyone!

Haha. This is all hilarious. You're all correct, it's apparently a tomatillo plant. The funny part is when I bought it from the local store, it had a cluster of grapes growing on it. The squirrels made quick work of that single cluster of grapes and then it flowered and started growing those things. So I have no idea what the heck happened... Thanks for the input everyone!

Well, here's a recipe to use those tomatillos. It is the best tomatillo salsa I have ever had. Or.....I'm in Morrison. I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Tomatillo Salsa with Chile de Arbol ala Paxia
12 Roasted Tomatillos
1/4 OZ Roasted Chile de Arbol Peppers
3-4 cloves garlic
1/4 Roasted Onion
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1-2 tbsp sugar to taste

Destem and seed the peppers. Roast in a hot pan until browned. Peel and rinse tomatillos and cut in half and broil until browned along with the onions and garlic. Place all ingredients in the food processor and blend until the desired consistency is reached. Add sugar to taste

It's climate change I tell Ya or well a miss placesd seed or two and smokin crack ;-) yeah that's it

Latest posts

Back