Filter storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norske

Forum Member
Reaction score
I currently use a 30" cartridge filter system. After use, I clean and store the filter back into the housing and fill it with vodka.

I am trying to come up with an economical way to store my 2nd filter after use.

I looked into cpvc as an option but the cost for it is $30 a foot, 20' minimum, so that isn't an option.
Does anyone have other ideas on storing the cartridge? It looks like I may have to buy another stainless steel filter housing.

Norske, Love Soldotna!! Fished the "RED" run of salmon in 2002, 04, 06, and 08 @ River Terrace RV Park. Finally got to old to drive back up, but would love to!! Henry

Norse, our local hardware & big box stores sell 5' pcs of pipe, however being in Soldotna 20 yrs ago don't remember any big stores. How about a local plumber/sewer installer,get a few feet for the price of a beer. Made mine from 3" pvc cut offs. Roy

The housing dimensions would need to be 3" inside diameter by 32" tall.

FTC, we have grown alot since you were here last and now have quite a few stores actually. My concern on the filter storage is that it be food grade since it will be housing our sterile .45 filter.

The local plumbing shop only has pvc in stock and the food grade, cpvc is special order at the high cost I mentioned above.

I would imagine that as long as it is pvc made for potable drinking water it should be fine .

CPVC is for potable water, regular pvc is not. The problem is the pricing of the CPVC up here, it is $29 per foot and 20' minimum, hence why I am asking others of they have a alternative method.
It almost looks like it is cheaper to just buy another stainless steel cartridge housing.

CPVC is for potable water, regular pvc is not. The problem is the pricing of the CPVC up here, it is $29 per foot and 20' minimum, hence why I am asking others of they have a alternative method.
It almost looks like it is cheaper to just buy another stainless steel cartridge housing.

I've had PVC water lines for the last 35 years and you're saying it's NOT for water?? Is this a local reg? I'd sure hate to dig up the 200 yds of pipe on my place, some of which is 6' deep and more under cement.

CPVC is for hot water.

Dan has the answer, I think. I would use a strong dose of sulfite.

I would not recommend using vodka in any PVC or CPVC. Alcohol is a good solvent for organic compounds that could come out of the plastic. You should be fine with the sulfite water solution.

Thanks for the info. I have been storing my 1 micron filter in the stainless steel cartridge housing with vodka. I also take the o-rings out and put them on a twist tie attached to the housing.
Thanks Greg for the heads up on the vodka and pvc, I wasn't aware of that.
Runningwolf, what is the dosage rate for the meta and citric? ppm?

Latest posts

Back