Compliance and Regulatory Concerns for Wineries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandVine

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum, and I recently introduced myself in the "intro" section. I'm looking to get some feedback from current wineries and winemakers about things they wish they knew before starting up a winery or beginning wine production. While I know there are many aspects to consider when starting a winery or a wine business, I run a compliance consulting company, and I am interested in learning more about compliance or regulatory concerns.

I recently wrote a blog post on "top ten" list of compliance concerns that new wineries should be concerned about or look into. I listed aspects like obtaining an EIN, business organization, filing your business with the state (Articles of Organization, etc.), federal and state licensing, formula approvals (when necessary), label approvals, obtaining a bond, and registration with FDA (food facility). I know there are many other aspects to consider, like trademark and employment, but I wanted to make a list of ten things new owners should be aware of. To me, the above are some of the top concerns from a compliance/regulatory perspective. I'd love to hear what others feel are strong compliance or regulatory concerns as well.

Latest posts

Back