Making my own press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cburke

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

Over the past few years I have made several batches of kit wines and tried making my own cider. The press I bought for the cider (10 quarts or so) was just a bit too small. So I was looking into building my own - as much for the challenge as for the cost savings.

I think I have everything planned out and found sources for all the parts, except for one part, the basket. I was thinking about using a stock pot steamer basket. It's cylindrical, perforated, inexpensive and as far as I can tell would work just fine. I am more trying to create a functional tool rather than something to show off.

Most of the baskets are made out of aluminum - but would that create any off flavors in my cider and wine?

They do make stainless steel ones, but they are a bit more expensive, still less expensive than an oak basket though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Personally I wouldn't use aluminum, only stainless or wood.
Not 100% SURE but the acid from apples/grapes might break down the aluminum a bit causing off flavors.

You don't have to use oak for a basket or the press body, any harder wood will do.

If you are using a strainer basket, you may want one with bigger holes so I doesn't clog up one you.

Make sure a post pic's of the final result!

Last edited:
Since you are making the press, why not make a basket? You could get all the wood you need for a basket out of one 1x6x8 foot oak board. Cut them on a bevel to allow for the correct shape and openings. Some folks just use a heavy plumbing strap and stainless bolts to assemble it.

One reason for use a strainer basket is because I am not a great craftsman. Making the support structure of a press is pretty easy. Making beveled edges etc., I will find plenty of ways to screw up.

Did find a stainless steel basket online - a bit more than the aluminum, but not as much as I thought. It is perforated with 1/2 inch holes, so it should drain the juice perfectly well.

Will look into how to make

James, I like that. My only improvement, if it is an improvement, would be: Turn the bucket upside down. Notice there's a lip around the bottom. When you set the bucket across the edges of the the cross beams, I'd be concerned the lip would get squashed or cut into the beams if a lot of pressure was exerted. I'd cut a circle of plywood to fit inside the lip to give support under the bottom of the bucket.

Latest posts

Back