What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made prime rib for Christmas Eve dinner, and to honor the occasion, I pulled out an old bottle. I purchased this wine in 1988.

My younger son was impressed, he was amazed that I kept the bottle that long.

Chateau Mouton Rothschild.jpg

His fiancé pondered a bit, then asked me, "When did you drink the wine?"

Yeah, she knows me too well. "My roommate and I drank the wine 2 weeks after I bought it."

In my defense, everything I said was absolutely true. I did purchase the bottle in 1988 and I did keep the bottle since then.

I left out the part where the bottle was emptied long ago, I used it as a decoration for a while, and it's been in my attic since then .....

:db

The wine in the decanter next to the bottle was a 2015 McGregor Cabernet Franc Reserve.

On a Merlot kick. Another excellent wine. 5 Star QPR for sure. 2014 II Vintners Merlot. Needed about 40 mins of air still. This was some excellent juice. Sipped on it post dinner as well while watching traditional Holiday movies like "The Holiday", "It's a Wonderful Life" and of course "Die Hard"!

It is now officially Christmas as I saw Hans Gruber fall from the top of Nakatomi Plaza...... :db

6258fd29-b7d6-46b4-8d4d-cf1069c13c75.jpg

Last edited:
We had a few family members over for dessert late yesterday afternoon. While rearranging my wine supply a couple of weeks ago, I discovered this bottle of French Cabernet Sauvignon from the very first WE kit I made in 2012. I figured after almost 9 years it would either be terrific or horrible. I pulled the cork on it yesterday and had our family wine expert sample it. He raved about how good it was - he couldn't get over how smooth it went down. It was drained pretty fast!! I checked my notes on it and nothing looked unusual. It was fermented at about 73°, tasted very rough until 26 months and was excellent at 4 years.

1608980962388.png

So tonight was a "throw down" of sorts. a 2013 Doubleback Cab Sauv vs a San Acacia Cellars "Machete" Cab Sauv blend..........

The winner was a tie! Really not kidding.......

The 2012 San Acacia Cellars Machete held is own against the Doubleback believe it or not!

Its not so surprising really as the 13' Doubleback was a very off year and only scored 88pts WS. The Machete OTOH was amazing after 30 mins of air time. Just goes to show you that you can make an excellent wine with less than excellent grapes if you just get out of the way and let the grapes turn into wine with minimal assistance.....

I might be biased but really who gives a.........

Its NYE 2020 and I survived! LOL

Happy New Year!

1609466088738.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back