benefit of making your own wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
I have been an avid collector of fine port wines and fine whiskeys for years.
But as of now, I have about 200 bottles of home made wine in my wine rack.
It is very nice to come home and pick a wine for what ever I am serving for dinner, are just to sit in the porch swing with friends and listen to some blues.
I have full bodied reds, med bodied reds, semi sweet, dry, sweet, and then my ports..., and of course my dragon blood, which is everyones favorite.
Kudos to the wine makers here....

I have been educated in a number of schools, and hold degrees of various interest, and own several businesses.
But the best education< I got here.
Thanks.

I agree with you James. I have learned so much in the last two months from the folks here. (including you)

I find myself just reading threads like a book and thinking.. 'oh.. I didn't realize that', or 'what an interesting idea'. Problem with it all is, I seem to perpetually stay one carboy short of being able to start a new project.

I agree with you James. I have learned so much in the last two months from the folks here. (including you)

I find myself just reading threads like a book and thinking.. 'oh.. I didn't realize that', or 'what an interesting idea'. Problem with it all is, I seem to perpetually stay one carboy short of being able to start a new project.

Wait until they start multiplying. :)

For me a really big benefit is having something I've made to gift to a family member or friend. A fellow archery club member did some work on one of my bows and refused to let me pay him any money yet was very appreciative of my giving him a bottle of wine.

All of the above points, plus economy.
I love cider, but GOOD cider is pricey, $5-$10 for a 750ml of quality product. Heck, even cheap cider is $8 for a sixer. But I can make Apfelwein from bottled juice for about $22 for 5 gallons. And it's one of my favorite things to drink now.
So I guess we can also add discovery to the positive points of home winemaking.

MilesDavis, Raspberry Cider ? Sounds interesting. I love anything fermented with raspberry. My "house" wine is believe it or not VDV Merlot. If you care to share the recipe. Bakervinyard

It's an experiment at this stage. I basically substituted rasperry syrup for dextrose in the Apfelwein recipe. I also changed the yeast to S-04, as I hope to cold-crash and clear it, and end up with a F.G. around 1.02 that will drop to around 1.015 after sitting in bottle for a week or two. Also hoping that it turns out clear(ish).

To put it simply,

James, you are a class act!

I sure do love everything (almost) about winemaking, but the best part is the "giving and getting" I experience here.

May God bless you all!

johnT.

Latest posts

Back