Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copy and paste info

Javelina (pronounced have-a-LEEN-a) is the common name for the collared peccary. Peccaries are included in the Order Artiodactyla (even toed ungulates), where you will also find pigs, hippopotamuses, camels, llamas, mouse deer, deer, giraffes, pronghorn, antelopes, sheep, goats, and cattle.

While peccaries resemble pigs, they are not pigs. Instead, they are part of the Tayassuidae family, while pigs belong to the family Suidae.

absolutely wild, they seem to shy away if you head towards them but my understanding is that they do become aggressive and will attack when they have their babies with them or if you approach with dogs which they will attack. They have large tusks and just a few weeks ago a woman was attacked in a local wilderness area and ended up with quite a few bad bite wounds.
The group, same group all the time, seem pretty accustomed to being near people but still keep a pretty close eye out if they see you and will bolt if you make any sudden moves. We probably come across them 1 or 2 times a week on our morning walks.
Over the hill behind them is national forest and open government wilderness and they seem to live out there and trek in and out of our neighborhood to forage for additional food.

I pulled up a map of my area, my home is under the little blue cross in the center, and it shows just how surrounded we are by wilderness areas and forests.
most of the mountain pics I take by Telephoto lens are across the canyon are in the red rock secret mountain wilderness area about 20 miles or so NW of us.
Cottonwood wilderness.jpg

I remember my granddad many many years ago mentioned this wild animal in the deep woods in the country side of the DR where he grew up and I think they used to hunt and eat them, they're very similar to pork I think.
I think the article I referenced called them the "skunk pig". Guess they have a gland that you have to avoid when skinning/butchering.

I bought this kit from a retailer in FL who shault NOT be named back Aug 2019, which is a long time. I really did not expect anything since it has been so long. But. "Unfortunately, our distributors only have a 7-10 day time frame for issues such as these." 7 - 10 days seems very small time frame. Most retailers give you a 30 day window for returns.

View attachment 63301
BTW: I bought it on sale and I had it stored in a closet in my basement. I wanted to see how the first batch developed before starting a second. It did not appear to have breached to outside plastic too much because my wood floor in the closet was ok. However as you can see in the attached pictures the kit is unusable. Obviously the seal of the interior bag had a small leak.
I would try making that kit anyway. What have you got to lose? @ithink2020 had a similar experience. It may be just some juice leaking under the cap. His seems to be turning out fine, so he got 2 for 1 as well.

Blindman Brewing, a local micro-brewery in LaCombe, Alberta, uses a button they flip to “Sanitized” once the table is sanitized after the previous customers have left. You flip it to “Not Sanitized” when you sit down. The hand sanitizer on the table is beer-scented. Nice touch!
EC6B4E45-AC14-4E6C-8000-4222E2B99207.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back