Edmonton beginner!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldone

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals!! I'm a newb... I've made several Winekits... But now it's time to start striking out making batch from scratch!! So here I am looking for advice/tips/recipes/and equipment lists!! Woohoo!! Let the learning begin!!!

Go for it Coldone! Experimentation is encouraged! Welcome! Lots of advice and wonderful folks here!

Thanks guys, for equipment I have all the basics for making kits. 2 primaries, hoses, hydrometers, hoses, wine thief, filter pump, cleaning equipment.. All the basics.. Basically for my first attempt I'm hoping to find an easy/beginner wine to make that's kinda fool proof that anyone willing to do a little work can accomplish.. Any suggestions??

Welcome to the site and good luck. I enjoy making kits but making wine from a fruit, to me, is a lot more rewarding. Good luck, if you need a recipe, I have plenty, and there are plenty on here. Don't be afraid to ask. Good luck

Welcome aboard. My first non kit wine was Skeeter Pee. I used that to get my feet wet and just in case I really messed up, I wasn't out a bunch of fruit that I spent time picking. Worked for me and the benefit is that you get a carboy of Skeeter pee to drink this summer!!!! :sm

Ergo.. I responded but it didn't post!! Ok so! I have all of the kit gear.. I'm set up for kits... But I am missing some other equipment.. Not sure yet what yet though.. Heh. 1 week left of school till I get to dive in head first researching way more..

Thanks for the welcomes!! And suggestions so far..

Hi Coldone, and Welcome (I'm also from Edmonton)

The skeeterpee.com site (or check out skeeter pee here) is a good one for trying something from scratch. it's easy to make, and will cost you three bottles of realeamon and a 4 kilo bag of rogers sugar at safeway, along with a few wine making chemicals. If you don't have a slurry from a wine kit to start it with you get to practice making an active starter to get it going.

I recently started a 1 gallon batch of blueberry wine using safeway frozen blueberries, raisins, and grape concerntrate. So far it seems to be working out well, but it's far to early for me to tell yet. I'm doing my "experiment" in a 1 gallon glass jug.

Like you I am hoping to make some more from scratch stuff, but as I also like good kits, I'm working up restarting my cellar with some good reds. I hope to be able to find a good local source for a pile of chokecherries in august to make some chokecherry wine. I'm also holding out for cheap blackberries and blueberries when they show up from BC at the right time.

Last edited:
Nah, technical training.. Going for dual tickets.. Electrician/instrumentation.

Welcome to a great forum! Lots of good people and information here.. Have fun!

Ok so! I have all of the kit gear.. I'm set up for kits... But I am missing some other equipment.. Not sure yet what yet though.. Heh. 1 week left of school till I get to dive in head first researching way more..

Thanks for the welcomes!! And suggestions so far..

Let us know what you have and we will let you know what you need. If you are making kits now, there not much more you may need.

I have all the kit making gear.. I'm missing a press.. Know that much.. And surfing through recipes on here.. Looking like a skeeter pee might be my first attempt.. After thats started guess it's a real attempt at something fruit/grape. Just tough to know what to start on I guess :)

Latest posts

Back