Sweet Red Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one here has made a sweet red and how sweet you make it???

I've never really considered it before andI've always made my reds completely dry, but my neighbor gaveme several bottles ofJumilla Monastrell that was really exceptional.

Theonly sweet wines I have made are Port. If you make a red sweet, just do it to your taste, but stop when you think its "not quite there yet" as the sweetness will enhance a little bit over time.

How sweet you make it depends on how much acid is in it to balance out the sugar. Frontenac is a cold hardy grape very high in acids. I know a few vineyards that make them unbelievably sweet and you wouldn't really know it was that sweet. I will be experimenting with sweetening some this year but will need to sterile filter it because it has gone through mlf so no sorbate.

There are a few wineries down here in Texas who do a sweet red. My favorite is put out by a Fall Creek winery under the name of Twin Springs in Tow, Texas. The website says that they have blended Merlot and Zinfandel together and sweetened it. I would love to know how they do it. It is actually quite tasty.

when i ferment to dry,---i back sweeten by using 4 ounces ((measuring cup ounces)) per gallon--this gets my dry wine to just off dry for me-- if i want it to be sweet. i use 8 ounces of sugar per gallon--- not very scientific but it seems to have consistant results for me.

Latest posts

Back