PH too low am I in trouble?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhelan939

Reaction score
I have made a few kit wines, but this spiced apple wine is the first full wine I've made myself. When I mixed the must about two months ago, I followed Jack's recipe, understanding that PH and acid may need to be adjusted. I used the test papers as best as I could. I think I may have used it wrong!!! Yesterday my digital PH tester finally came. My apple wine is at a 4.0PH. I need to lower this by .5. Everything I have read says to use Tartaric Acid. I don't have any; however, I do have acid blend. would it be okay to use this? How much would I add for a 1-gallon batch? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

A PH of 4 is acceptable. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are really worried taste it. Apple usually has enough acid that you don't have to go overboard with it. If it tastes too flat then add some. But I bet it will already have a nice zingy acid finish. Just make sure that you use an appropriate amount of sulfites to preserve it.

If you want to add some, get an acid blend. And how much to add will depend on what blend you have and how old it is. I would suggest starting small. But if you are already fermented, TASTE IT first. Then decide if YOU need it.

The main problem with acid blend is that it usually contain citric acid. This in itself, is not an issue, but tartaric acid can fall out as crystals, malic acid can be consumed by ML bacteria, but citric acid can only be removed by precipitated chalk, etc.

I find that you can easily overdo it with acid, and it's best to use a blend of both tartaric and malic, but to skip the citric if you can. I also find that citric is the most sour of the bunch too.

Like Ryan said, a PH of 4 is acceptable. Also, make sure your PH meter was calibrated with fresh buffer solutions both at 4.01 and 7.01 for winemaking. You can skip the 10.1 solution totally for winemaking.

For a one gallon batch don't use more than 1/8 tsp acid blendthen taste.

I calibrated the meter before I used it. I did skip the 10 solution. My problem with the ordering is that to order just the acid it would cost 3x the cost in shipping. Unfortionitly I don't have any local wine stores that are open during my non-working hours. I was hoping the acid blend would be okay, but I certainly don't want to mess it up.

I plan on aging it for a while longer. Could I wait to add the acid until the next time I place a bigger order? Anyone in the philly area wanna sell me a tsp on acid? lol!

If I read your first message correctly, you want to lower the acid level. To lower it, could younot use a base material such as water.

In commercial settings, blending a high acid one with a lower-acid one is usually the way to go. Blending is not as feasible for the home winemaker... If you really want to, you could make up an extra kit (watching the pH and TA) and blend that with the offending batch.
De-acidifying chemically is seen as sort of a last resort. It can be done by adding potassium bicarbonate powder at a rate of 2 g/L for a TA reduction of 1 g/L (estimated). Dissolve the powder directly into your product and let settle for 6 to 8 weeks as potassium bitartrate solids will precipitate out (in the case of fermenting wine, this will obviously take longer). Always de-acidify before pitching your yeast. The movement from the subsequent fermentation will keep the solids in suspension longer and will settle out with the rest of the lees after fermentation. Rack off the solids and taste again before adding any more.
Winemaker Magazine

I actually have a high PH, which if im reading correctly means my acid level is too low. So I need to raise the acid level. However, that is some great information for making a wine mor alkaline. I'll be sure to keep it on hand. Thanks!!!

Oooops....
smiley9.gif

Sorry. My mistake. Guess I outa start reading these forums befor I start sampling my wine.
Good luck with your PH Jw.

Latest posts

Back