Other 2016 Limited Editions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently made a Passport Series Oregon Pinot Gris (nice flavor..!!) but didn't record the total liters of water added.

Thanks for confirming.
I agree with you about the WE LE from Labelpeelers....price is much cheaper..!!

My Passport Pinot Gris is next in line for the fermenter. It's an 18L kit.

Hmm D47 or BA11 both have interesting characteristics I am going to research them further.

Thank you,
Steve

Ok, there's a sale going on for this kit somewhere at a very good price but without some feedback on it I won't pull the trigger..:pee

A limited release PG/SB from a trusted manufacturer? At a very good price, if I had room in the cellar, I think I'd take my chances.

Yeah, in the $99 range shipped to me but really wanted to get some feedback on this blend, although you got a good point, RJS should be good...
I think you made the Carroussel, right? 18L or 16L?

Mine is still in the carboy but the Carrusel was excellent and I expect no less from the Carnevale. I believe the kits were 16L last year and 18L this year.

cheers

Yeah, in the $99 range shipped to me but really wanted to get some feedback on this blend, although you got a good point, RJS should be good...
I think you made the Carroussel, right? 18L or 16L?

$99 shipped? You're lucky I don't have room. I'd have bought it out from under your nose. :)

Did the Carrusel, yes. Liking it so far, but I think its still to young for the rotation. Think it was 18L, but don't recall.

Mine is still in the carboy but the Carrusel was excellent and I expect no less from the Carnevale. I believe the kits were 16L last year and 18L this year.

cheers

I think you're right, previous editions were 16L but the upcoming releases will be 18L of juice.
So you have the Carnevale in carboy?

I started mine on May 17th. I use the 7 - 21 - 42 - whenever I get around to bottling it schedule. Since i just bottled the Eclipse Sauv Blanc, I may wait till Jan or Feb to bottle. Winter does not see a great deal of white consumed at our house.

cheers

Cracked a bottle of the Carrusel tonight. Very nice at the ripe old age of 11 months.

Those RJS are typically really good, recently I was going to take the plunge and buy a 'left over' RJS Carnivale kit at a discounted price but then didn't do it...

Almost embarrassed to admit this but........

I just started this guy a couple days ago. Time really got away from me this past year but....... It has been stored in the winery at 55F for 6 months and 65F during our short Summer months. Kinda pushing the boundary for juice longevity I think! Juice looked good, smelled good, no leakage, nice color. Yeast swap BA11 for the QA23. Starting SG was a 1.100 which I thought was sorta high. Things are bubbling along nicely at a cool 68F as of this AM. I have 5 more White kits I need to work through this year! :sh Got to be good as it has 5 stars printed right on the box I see! :)

IMG_2185.jpg

I'm sure it will be too old so just bottle it up when done and send to me for proper disposal.

I've made these RQ's way older than that so no worries there. The only concern is that mine is almost gone and it is very good.

cheers

So this kit turned out to be my first trouble maker EVER. As I stated earlier, old kit but stored in the winery in a very cool environment. Juice looked fine, not much in the way of solids and pretty clear actually from the get go. I did my usual yeast swap BA11 for QA23, never failed me yet. This time things were very weird. Fermentation started normally and within 18 hours and was a pretty normal fizzy soda pop fermentation. Since it was cool in the winery after a week and we were still at ~1.010 I transferred to glass and added some heat to bring it up to ~70F and then it just seemed to slow down more and more. Very little in the way of lees were formed. After two weeks we were still at 1.006. I made a yeast starter with some EC1118. Another week went by, no change in SG. It seemed to be just degassing with no change in SG. After another week of no change I decided to stick a fork in it. It is sitting at 1.004 after fully degassing and fining agents added and racking. Tasted it and it is pretty sweet but flavor was nice, I noticed a really big ZING on my taste buds so pulled out my trusty pHep5 meter, calibrated it and checked pH. pH was 3.00! Crazy low for a kit white wine and perhaps that is what caused the fermentation issue. I topped up with 1.5L of Barefoot Chardonnay stirred well and rechecked SG. Still pretty close to 1.004. I may have to buy a couple of 5L boxes of Chardonnay to try and bring this down (SG) and make it drinkable because as it stands now it taste almost like an Ice Wine of sorts...... :(

Did anyone else have any issues with this Kit? Anybody else check pH post ferment?

I recorded 1.096 and it finished at 0.994.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back