Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > boring newbie worries

Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is it posible to dump in some more berries at this point? I put it together thurs night & it's was in a 60* garage until yesterday if that matters.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
Scooter68
Fruit Wine Lover (And Part-time PITA)

Aug 2015
Liked 218 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Don't see any reason you cannot add to it now - you are still early in the process especially if the temps were that low. Be sure to put those berries in a bag or you will have a messy racking process. If you already have berries in the bucket loose, you ought to invest in a large stainless steel strainer.

Even 4 lbs/gallon should give you a better product in the end but pushing up to 5 or higher would give you a much better result. My first was decent at 4 1/4 lbs/gallon but I had to sweeten it a fair amount to bring out the flavor.

You'll get there be patient.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

juice Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The numbers are getting better and I just left it alone. This evening it's 1.072 and that's good right? (was 1.100 @ day 3) It is day 5 in the bucket, someone said to rack it at about 1.00 or a bit under? If figure it will be good enough for my first try and boone's farm palate Baby steps right?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 683 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 242

If you have any left it might be a good time to add a little more nutrient. Be forwarned, if you do not have enough headspace and add ingredients to your wine you can wind up with something we call a wine volcano. Over the sides of a bucket, out the spout of a carboy. If fermenting in a carboy a good or bad however you look at it, volcano can actually hit the ceiling. What I am saying is add slowly and stir it in gently and you should be ok. If fermenting over nice flooring it is agood idea to have a tray or something under your fermenter to catch any spills or overflows. Keep this hobby up long enough and you will probably have it happen to you. Good luck with it, Arne.

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
Scooter68

Aug 2015

Sounds like you are past the point of adding to the existing fermentation - However - you can search the boards here on how to make an F-pack to add flavor before you bottle .... down the road.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not seen any foaming at all, just a few bubbles on the surface, really just a few that are prolly from stirring & flopping the fruit bag over & trying to fully sink it.. With the number going down (Have not checked tonight yet) that means the sugars are being eaten and it is working right? I expected a whole lot more impressive show than what I'm seeing.
I'm using a 7 gal bucket and only filled it to 2 gals. The yeast was out of the brew store's fridg and into mine for a few months, I used the whole packet. Am I just making juice

edit; 1.060 reading, was 1.072 last night, no foam.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
Scooter68

Aug 2015

Some batches produce a lot of foam, others next to nothing. - The Hydrometer is the only thing that matters for now. Keep watching that and normally somewhere between 1.020 and 1.010 is the time for that first rack to a carboy. Until you get there just keep stirring once or twice an day, keep a cover on the bucket (cloth or loose lid and be patient. Nows a good time to check your record keeping and start thinking about that next batch. (Fermentation buckets look so sad when they are empty.)

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

juice Likes This