Other Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbuck

Reaction score
So I moved in May, 2016 to our new home that was going to have major renovations done after we moved in. (I'm a contractor so that was a given!) I had 5 carboys in various stages of completion:

1) Lodi Cabernet - ready for bottling
2) Argentine Malbec - ready for fining
3) Pinot Noir - ready for fining
4) Brunello - ready for fining
5) Aglianico - ready for bottling

They got packed into a room (with a/c) and lots of boxes surrounding them. I was able to check on the airlocks. However I was not able to get to set them up for next stage processing until last week - December 25. So they have all been in carboy storage for 7 months.

I decided once I got them into my new wine processing room to check them out. They were all really smooth and delicious except for the Cabernet and the Malbec.

Both of them had a stronger than normal licorice taste and smell. Otherwise they are delicious! I'd like some feedback on what I could do before bottling to help tone that taste down or supplement it with something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

As a side note I took samples in to my supplier (Defalco's Houston) and let them taste and they suggested I add tartaric acid to the carboy a little at a time. We tried this in a small sample glass and it did tend to soften the licorice taste.

So I moved in May, 2016 to our new home that was going to have major renovations done after we moved in. (I'm a contractor so that was a given!) I had 5 carboys in various stages of completion:

1) Lodi Cabernet - ready for bottling
2) Argentine Malbec - ready for fining
3) Pinot Noir - ready for fining
4) Brunello - ready for fining
5) Aglianico - ready for bottling

They got packed into a room (with a/c) and lots of boxes surrounding them. I was able to check on the airlocks. However I was not able to get to set them up for next stage processing until last week - December 25. So they have all been in carboy storage for 7 months.

I decided once I got them into my new wine processing room to check them out. They were all really smooth and delicious except for the Cabernet and the Malbec.

Both of them had a stronger than normal licorice taste and smell. Otherwise they are delicious! I'd like some feedback on what I could do before bottling to help tone that taste down or supplement it with something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

As a side note I took samples in to my supplier (Defalco's Houston) and let them taste and they suggested I add tartaric acid to the carboy a little at a time. We tried this in a small sample glass and it did tend to soften the licorice taste.

Perhaps your first step with all of them should be to rack and sulfite the wines. 7 months is a long time and they probably need it. I'd suspect that they're all nearly cleared without fining. After racked and sulfited, let them settle down and see how they taste, bottle the ones you're happy with, work on the ones that need it.

Latest posts

Back