Hello... from New Jersey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nephils

Junior
Reaction score
Hi.

Last year I purchased a house and ~6 acres with a half acre vineyard (5 rows, ~200 vines). The vineyard is at least 20 years old and was well managed for the most part, until the owner passed away in 2010. After that it was let go. I spent much of last year trying to learn as much as I can about the basics, so that I can get it cleaned up and see what I have growing there. I pruned in the early spring and have otherwise tended to the vines as much as my lack of experience would allow. for the most part I have a decent crop with some of the "better cared for" vines, and am trying to renew some of the trunks and arms on others. Unfortunately no-one seems to know what kind of grapes are planted, but that there are several varieties...in no particular planting order! I've got tons of questions and no one to really get answers from.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have found this forum. I've been lurking for a few months and I am encouraged by the active participation of those who have extensive knowledge and/or experience.

nephils, those grapes are probably Concords. It seems like that's all the folks in NJ know how to grow as they try to replicate Welches as close as they can. I advise you to check with our resident expert (JohnT) from NJ about making welches from Concords and he can give you a lot of tips. Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions. We're here to help you succeed!

nephils, those grapes are probably Concords. It seems like that's all the folks in NJ know how to grow as they try to replicate Welches as close as they can. I advise you to check with our resident expert (JohnT) from NJ about making welches from Concords and he can give you a lot of tips. Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions. We're here to help you succeed!

Thanks for the tip...I'm pretty sure there are some Concords, but I know for sure there is a mix of reds and whites, as well as different red varieties. I was also told there was at least one "Ives" vine...though I don't know which vine it is.

all I go to say is....

cutthatout.jpg

Latest posts

Back