Adding liqueur before clarifing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffl

Junior
Reaction score
I am a new member so please bear with me.
I have several years of wine making both scratch and kit. I am looking to creat some unique blends, for example adding a flavored liqueur before clarifying a fruit wine. I have struggled with the fruit being very subtle so I thought such a addition my help and create something unique.

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Jeffl

First, welcome to the forum.
Adding your liquor, give it a try and see how it comes out. I would probably try it with a small amount of the wine the first time as a test. Try a half gal. or a gal. If it is good, do a full batch the next time. This way if you don't like it, you wont loose the full batch. (Mite try adding a little after clearing, you can do that by the glass, to see what it is like then.) Arne.

Give it a try Jeff. Who knows what you might come up with? I like to experiment a lot myself and I have used pure fruit extracts (usually fruit flavoring and alcohol). I totally agree with Arne. Try a small batch until you find the flavor and the porportions that please you. With extracts, I only need a drop or two in a gallon to be able to discern the flavor.

I do not know how much gallon each batch is but I do presume you will n eed to add a lot of liquer to notice any change.

Next be aware that by adding liqueur you will also add sugar so your wine might re-start fermentation. So stabilise first.

Lastly be aware that by adding liqueur you alter the chemical balance of your wine so a wine that is ready and clear might get cloudied again. So afther adding the liqueur you will need to wait again to clear it.

To get more flavor in your wine you should add more fruit. It is as simple as that. Most people water their wines down tto much. Use pure fruit juice when possible and only use as much waqter as is needed to bring acidity down. Thats the only way to get a full bodied full flavored wine.
The recipes on my web-log will give you some directions.

Luc

Latest posts

Back