whiskey barrel flooring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very original! Very expensive, but pretty cool looking; a great conversation piece.

We make a lot of stairs for the rich and out of just about everything out there. Havent had the pleasure or nightmare of having touse barrle material though. Reclaimed logs from old growth lumber, antique wood all the time which is usually the worst as lots of it is all rotted out and have to work around it.

Sounds like a lot of work. I mean, you'd have to get the staves to go flat again, and stay that way? And aren't the staves narrower at the ends and wider at the middle? The floor boards look retangular, so does this mean they just shaved the sides down to make them square? I think I'll just put in regular oak flooring and spill my own whiskey on it.

Some barrels Ive seen are not tapered (round somewhat) so maybe they are using these?

They do not look like vey long pieces. I think that they cut off each end, then plane to a non-tapered edge.

My guess is that they also just take a thick vaneer off the outside edge, then laminate that to straight oak stock.

Latest posts

Back