Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jersey peaches

FRUITS OF MY LABOR:try

WELL STARTED THE PEACHES ALONG WITH THE FRUIT FLIES THAT THEY CAME WITH AND THE RELATIVES THEY INVITED ALONG,(DOWN SIDE TO FRUIT MAKING),WASHED ALL THE FRUIT ,DE STONES IT AND PLACED IT IN MY CUISINART PROCESSOR,TO MAKE IT FINE,AND IT DID,AFTER PLACEING ALL THE FRUIT AND PECTIN EMELYNE IN TO THE 8 GALLON FERMENTER AND LET IS SIT FOR 24HRS,NICE BREAKDOWN , WHAT A AROMA( REMEMBER THE LIQUID GOLD WADE) THIS BATCH IS GOING TO BE THAT QUALITY I FEEL IT...AFTER THE 24HRS I ADDED MY YEAST- RED STAR AND LET IT GO TO A PLACED WHERE IT ONCE TO BE, TOWEL ON TOP ,DID I TELL YOU HOW I GET READ OF THE FRUIT FLIES, ,WELL I OPEN A BOTTLE OF WINE TURN ON THE TV (ALL IN THE MANCAVE) CUT SOME CHEESE AND PEPPERONI AND OLIVES AND EVERY NOW AND THEN LOOK OVER TO THE TUBS WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT AND THE CROWD HAS GATHERED I TURN ON THE 5 HP SHOP VAC AND AWAY THEY GOOOOOOOO..PAINLESS...:try

Last edited:
A good night

:ts

A VERY GOOD NIGHT FOR ME AT THE VINELAND WINE FESTIVAL AND CONTEST TOOK FIRST PLACE WITH MY RASSBERRY WINE AND SECOND PLACE WITH MY WHITE ZIN /POMAGRANET:try

COULD HAVE DONE BETTER BUT THERES ALWAYS NEXT YEAR........THE ZIN POM WAS STYLED AFTER THE KIT WINE BUY THE SAME NAME ,REMEMBER I STATED I WOULD BUY A KIT I THOUGHT I COULD DUPLICATE AND DO IT ,WELL THIS IS ONE OF MANY I HAVE DONE / THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX....NEXT STEP CELLARMASTERS..:pic

Last edited:
Whats Going On

:br

WORK IN PROGRESS:dg:u

THE PLUM IS AT PEACE WITH ITSELF RESTING AFTER A SHORT BUT STRONG FERMENTATION,THE PEACH IS READY TO JOIN IT ON ITS WAY TO A BETTER PLACE IN THE CARBOYS OF LIFE,BOTH THE CA. CHARD AND THE ITY SAOVE ARE HARD AT WORK ENJOYING THE VIGOROUS MESSAGE THAT THE YEAST IS PROVIDING AND WILL ALSO BE RETIRING TO TO THE CALM AND PEACE OF THE GLASS VESSEL,ONLY TO BE AWAKEN TO THE SOUNDS OF TIMBER AND FRUIT ATTENDING THEIR NEEDS,HA NOTHING LIKE BEING A GOOD WINE AND HAVING ALL YOUR NEEDS TAKEN CAR OF:br

I just bottled my almond wine today, it is just under a year old. The almond flavor is very subtle (I might not even know it was there if I didn't know it was in there), but it still tastes pretty good!

almond wine

:i SHARA,i CAN UNDERSTAND THE MILD TASTE OF THE ALMONDS (TO USE A BETTER ADJUSTIVE) AND I THINK WHAT I'm ABOUT TO TELL YOU WILL EITHER SAY (WHAT NO WAY) OR MAKE SOME OF THE OTHER WINES MAKERS OUT THERE HAVE A HEART ATTACK.

:db
GO ON LINE AND SHOP FOR PURE ALMOND EXTRACT (NOT ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED) AND PREPARED YOUR SELF FOR RE BOTTLING ,THEN IN A BIG POT OR WHAT EVER AMOUNT YOUR GOING TO WORK FIRST ADD THE WINE THEN THE ALMOND EXTRACT(TO TASTE),IF NEED SIMPLE SYRUP IF DESIRED ADD A PINCH MORE KMET LETS IT SET AND WATCH AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THE EFFORT YOU HAVE PUT FORTH ,THIS IS A TRICK i LEARNED FROM A WINERY HERE IN NJ,WHO'S I MIGHT ADD ALMOND WINE IS SUPERIOR,TO ANY i HAVE EVER HAD.:u

THIS EXTRACT IS NOW YOUR FPAC,GOT IT! STAY IN TOUCH.

Last edited:
crushed my nuts

:tz well crushing the almonds did"t make any difference (or very little) so I'm back to the suggestion i gave Shara,,,cheap kit smooth it out a little and pure almond extra....:r it works:pic

my nuts are crushed

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF i left them whole or crushed them,it could be the way they were processd before purchase?:a1

cheap wine kit

:: well the fact that the extract from the almonds didn't work out won't defeat me since the wines are not available to make at present i think i will get a voignier kit and let that be my base and add the extract to it in the end.:i

WHY VOIGNIER,this wine has the ability to be a camilian,its and excellent wine on its own,but as a base wine its works well,good color,always a good flavor and decent body,so voignier it is,the games a foot

Last edited:
Work gets in the way

:a1 WELL WEATHER YOU KNOW OR DON'T KNOW I'M A HEATING AND AC/CONTRACTOR AND ITS HAS BEEN A STEADY BARRAGE OF NO HEAT CALLS HERE IN SOUTH JERSEY AND NO TIME FOR THE WINE ,THE BASEMENT IS GETTING COLDER AROUND 65DEGREES AND MOST ITEMS ARE STABLE ,THE COLD AT LEAST HELPS CLEARING ,,,,BY SUNDAY IF ALL GOES WELL I'll BE BACK....

GOT MY COFFEE PORT IN CAN'T WAIT TO START THAT ONE...TALKE TO YOU SOON ..:try

Cellos and the art of

GOING TO DO A SHORT ON THE MAKING OF CELLOS,STAY TUNED:br

New things to try

Remember when I was talking about using the zest to enhance the flavor of wine well had started to make a little video and it didn't turn out so good basically because I couldn't figure out how to get onto the site so I did at that time was used orange zest and showing how to make a zest base, and then in turn took the zest and added it to my Melbec, then I what about the basic process of layering first of the chips in with the dust only this time I left the Chip's and added the orange zest well it's been about two months and yesterday my friend kito, and I redound stairs wracking wine which I'll get to add another time, so as always part of the work is tasting, the two words that came out of kito's mouth was my God and I thought terribly wrong but it wasn he said the wine was excellent full body, great flavor, so when I tried it I understood, I thought the orange zest would give it a kind of sangria affect but it didn't it mellows itself into the body of the wine and gave such a unique flavor so I pass this on to you don't be afraid to try using the zest whether with a white wine or redwines you cannot go wrong.:sm

Joe,
How many oranges did you zest for the malbec?
I have a malbec under MLF now so, when should I add it. Also gonna add med toast chips next recking. (gotta get some oak powder)

Good to Hear from You,

:br I added the zest of two oranges really came out great, Tom remember can do this at any time after primary so it's never too late glad to see you trying to do layering, it does work melbec is a good wine to make with it can lead itself sweet or dry it anywhere between you know me I'm pretty on Orthodox in my ways, but the next time I see you I'll bring you a bottle.

And yes you do have to get yourself some powdered Oak, it will help nobody structure into the wine no doubt.:mnyr

Taking time off

Have been down the cellar to do anything worthwhile to tell you about be working on the street but have at least five kits(fun kits(start one of which is my coffee port, that should be fun. Talk to you soon JP

Fix it kit

:mny WELL I KNOW IF YOUR LIKE ME AND HAVE NEVER MADE A OFF WINE ,AND I KNOW THATS A VERY OFF CHANCE,BUT IF YOU DID AND I KNOW I NEVER HAD ,WHAT DO YOU HAVE AROUND TO FIX IT WITH,REMEMBERING THIS IS JUST A OFF CHANCE.:sm

HERES WHAT i HAVE IN MY FIX-IT TOOL BOX:se

FIRST ,RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE AND WHITE,GLUCOSE FOR BODY BUILDING,GLYCERIN FOR THE CELLOS,EXTRACTS=ORANGE,LEMON,CITRUS CINNAMON AND COFFEE,ACID BLEND,SUPER KLEER,FRENCH OAK CHIPS,POWDERED OAK(FOR LAYERING),FROM WHOLE FOODS PURE VARIETAL GRAPE JUICE IN VACUUM PACK,A LITTLE EXTREME,BUT HAY THATS ME..AND MAYBE A FEW ITEMS MORE?:hug

HAVING THIS AT THE READY HAS AIDED ME MANY A TIME,KNOWING WHEN AND HOW HAS BEEN TRIAL AND ERROR....ALWAYS A LEARNING CURVE.:rn

WHATS IN YOURS???????????????:br

Almonds....

I have added blanched, toasted whole almonds to my chocolate cherry wine. Took raw almonds (freshest source online, love the place: www.nutsonline.com), blanched them quickly with boiling water then dropped them into ice water to stop the heat. Immediately removed the ice water and then holding the almond with the smaller point between thumb and forefinger gave a gentle squeeze to remove the skin....whole almond intact. If any split into half, no problem, used them anyway. Made sure almonds were very dry (dab, dab, dab with paper towel) and then into a preheated 425F oven on silicone liner. Turned them after 6 minutes and at about the 10 minute mark I was smelling toasted almonds. Promptly removed from the heat and transferred them to an elevated wire rack that had a floursack towel on it, gave them a good rub with the towel to grab any residual oil and then allowed them to cool to room temperature. Added them to my wine during secondary ferment....I will remove them once they sink to the bottom of the secondary...I am at the 3 week mark and only a few have sunk. I added 1 cup per gallon.

Thought about incorporating their flavor by making an almond liqueur & finishing the wine port-style. This recipe can be adapted for use with any nut.

1 cup light brown sugar (for pecans or walnuts, may opt for dark)
1/2 cup water
750ml good brandy (E&J VSOP)
1 cup blanched, slivered and well toasted almonds
1 1/2 tsp vanilla, optional
1/4 tsp cinnamon, optional

Make a simple syrup by combining the sugar and water on stove top, bring to boil and then simmer until all sugar is dissolved...stir frequently. Allow to cool to room temperature. Combine remaining ingredients and transfer to glass jar with sealable lid. Steep for at least 6 weeks and then strain liquid into appropriate container. Do not discard nuts as they can be incorporated into muffins, fruit cakes, used as ice cream topping, etc.
This is great using toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts.

almond wine revisited

Sounds thought out , please let me know what the depth of the extract was, keep me informed let me know if it worked, I like to try it that way. Thanks for reading the thread. Simple syrup is something I always on hand and make it in a two to one ratio.

Kito and the sugar mavin

:u
:hug MY FRIEND KITO WILL BE OVER TONIGHT TO REVIEW HIS WINE AND MORE THAN LIKELY HE'LL WANT TO BACK-SWEETEN IT ,SHUTTER THE THOUGHT,BUT ITS HIS WINE AND IM JUST A GUIDE FOR HIM AS HE WORKS HIS WAY DOWN THE BOTTLING TRAIL,'LL ALSO LET HIM TASTE ms.T WINE AND WE'LL COMPARE HIS FINDINGS WITH LUCILLE'S FINDINGS. :sm

On special occasions, my wife and I buy and serve almond Champagne. I don't see why an almond Chardonnay would not be an excellent wine. Maybe I'll try making one one later.

Almond wine

\\\

I agree with you, the use of almond extract with any white wine should prove quite pleasing, even though my almond extract did not work out I believe that I can still make a good, almond wine if I can't find the proper or a 100% pure almond extract. Recently I have purchased and inexpensive Riesling and was going to use almond extract to finish, but my wife saw that the Riesling was finished started extracting bottles of wine from the stock.

Tonight keto was over and work on his Chardonnay, he wanted to back sweetness a little this was the Chardonnay that we do with what reasons and a slight taste of liquid oak, the wine has great body good taste as far as I was concerned, didn't need to be back sweet. But he added a cup a simple syrup we took and SG reading, will check it in a week we also added a package superkleer and will take from their. We also tasted of my stock a raspberry Shiraz 2007, and Ontario ice wine from 2007, and I let him take a bottle of Isabella to try at home, by the way he also took the above with him. Guess you could say keto had a very fruitful evening.

Back