Blackberry Sour

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
My 5 gallons of blackberry is now in the secondary and fermentation has ceased. It is very sour. Perhaps fruit could have been riper. It also does not have a tannin flavor. I guess I need to add sugar syrup prior to bottling. Any other remedy at this stage? Also can I add tannin now?

My 5 gallons of blackberry is now in the secondary and fermentation has ceased. It is very sour. Perhaps fruit could have been riper. It also does not have a tannin flavor. I guess I need to add sugar syrup prior to bottling. Any other remedy at this stage? Also can I add tannin now?

Is it clear?
How many blackberries/gallon did you use?
What was the SG adjusted to? What is it now?
What is the acid level?
How long has it been in the secondary?
How long was it in the primary? How long were the berries left in?

You can add tannin any time. IMO, you should wait until it is clear before you do anything else to it.

It is not clear. It just went into the secondary about 4 days ago.
I used 20 lbs. blackberries and 2 1/2 lbs. raisins for 5 gallons
Starting SG was 1088, moved to secondary at 1010 and now 996
Acid level was taken to .60 with acid blend
Berries were removed at SG 1010 after 5 days when moved to secondary

Mine was also sour. Age helped, sweetening helped, and addition of GOOD tannin helped. I recommend Tan Cor Grand Cru tannin.

Finished product is awesome. And it was SOUR!!!

Wait until it has cleared and then give it a month or so longer. If it is still sour balance it with sugar.

I was just given 10 gallons of blackberry juice. The person that called me said they have been picking the berries, running it through their Kitchen Aide juicer attachment, and then freezing the juice. Has anyone out there had any experience, or any good recipe for making wine from the juice? I have seen some recipes for the whole berries, but I have not seen any directly from the juice. Thanks alot for any help or suggestions.
Russ

I was just given 10 gallons of blackberry juice. The person that called me said they have been picking the berries, running it through their Kitchen Aide juicer attachment, and then freezing the juice. Has anyone out there had any experience, or any good recipe for making wine from the juice? I have seen some recipes for the whole berries, but I have not seen any directly from the juice. Thanks alot for any help or suggestions.
Russ

The only recipes I have found speak of having the berries smushed inside the straining bag.

Also; my only concern is with the them using their Juicer....wouldn't that have a possibility of having off flavors because the seeds might have came in contact with somethin that cut or smashed them?

Russ,
Go to the recipe section on this forum. Try looking up wine made with apple juice. Then go the a blackberry recipe for the chemicals, should give you a good idea where to start. Never tried it, but think it will work. Have made wine with apple juice, it comes out delicious. Arne

Will be bottling in a few days.

2gals. B.B. juice from a steamer
1Gal. B.B. puree from a food strainer
2 1/4gals water
9lbs sugar
5tsps. yeast nutrient

PH was 3.14 and S.G. was 1.080

My blackberry from last year was backsweetened with an f-pac. So I can't say what it was like before that.
So far this year I have (7) 5 gallon batches. I'm about to rack the first one the second time.
None are what I would call sour.
I used 27# to 28# of berries for five gallons. SG on the batches varied from 1.07 to 1.10 and I used two or three different yeasts.
All have good records kept. I'll let you know how each come out as I rack them again and sample them.

Three weeks later the fermentation has stopped, the tannin has emerged and it is not quite as sour. I did sweeten somewhat but I like a dry wine and an hoping during the aging process, the sourness will disappear into only an aftertaste.

It will meld into a nice wine given time. This batch might have had more malic acid in it and probably could have benefited from a malolactic fermentation.

That is good news.... Glad to hear it.

Those tannins will continue to devolpe alot for 6 months.

Latest posts

Back