Hello from Central Illinois.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickhouse

Reaction score
Hey there all. New to the site obviously, but also new to Winemaking. Just started my first batch and in doing research I came across the forum. Did a little lurking and thought I should do the site right by joining.

I am a long time member of a cigar site so I understand most forum etiquette, and hope to be a contributing member.

My main interests are cigars, bourbon, and wine, though this is my first brewing experience. I live in the Springfield, IL area.

I tend to stick to reds for the most part. Pinot Noir, Merlot, Malbec, and Cab Sav, but don't mind venturing out a bit. For good measure, my favorite regular production cigars are Bolivar Belicosos Finos, Trinidad Fundadores, mostly anything Tatuaje Reserva, mostly anything Padron, and anything Don Pepin Garcia had his hands in.

Anyway, I know little about winemaking but am eager to learn. I imagine I'll spend the majority of my time researching here, using the search function, and asking questions when appropriate. Hoping to gain some knowledge and maybe at some point contribute.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a little favor and start out with something like Dragon blood. There is a long thread on it in the beginners section. It doesn't cost much to make and you come up with something to drink. That way you can get your feet wet and not have much money involved but learn the basics of winemaking. Have fun with it and good luck. Arne

Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a little favor and start out with something like Dragon blood. There is a long thread on it in the beginners section. It doesn't cost much to make and you come up with something to drink. That way you can get your feet wet and not have much money involved but learn the basics of winemaking. Have fun with it and good luck. Arne

Thanks for the advice. I've got an RJS Pinot Noir kit started at the moment, but I have seen much about Dragon Blood on this forum as I read through things. I'll have to put it on the short list of things to try as a newbie figuring things out.

Thanks for the advice. I've got an RJS Pinot Noir kit started at the moment, but I have seen much about Dragon Blood on this forum as I read through things. I'll have to put it on the short list of things to try as a newbie figuring things out.

It will be four years next month that I started making wine and the RJS Pinot Noir was my fist. Back then it was a 9L Vino del Vido series kit. Think I paid something like 70-75 US dollars for it at a LHBS.

After maybe a few kits I'd encourage you to do a DB. About 1/3 of my wine making is now fruit/country wines using some simple variations of the DB recipe - thanks to having made a few DB wines about two years ago.

Welcome to a fellow Central Illinoisian! I'm up I-55 from you in Bloomington.

Tom

Great to see a semi-local around. I have spent a little time in Bloomington and still have friends there. I like me some Avanti's.

Thanks for the welcome.

Great to see a semi-local around. I have spent a little time in Bloomington and still have friends there. I like me some Avanti's.

Thanks for the welcome.

Love Avanti's! I lived on that bread and sauce in college. My son works there and usually brings his dinner home. That kid eats more pizza bread....lol

But you have D'Arcy's - can't get a horseshoe like that around here. And Bernie and Betty's, and Saputo's, and.....mmmmmm.

Tom

I've been making wine and cider for a few years. I'm in Springfield, IL as well. Are there any clubs or groups around these parts? I've been working on my own, looking to branch out.

I went to School at Illinois state. I always did enjoy a jaunt to Avanti's. I must say though I spent the majority of my time in College in a Music practice room (I was a Finance major) or at Upper Limits.

I'm currently in Warrenville, IL. I'll drive through Springfield or Bloomington with some regularity on my way to some of my favorite rock climbing destinations, and reminisce
a bit. (Jackson Falls in So Ill, and Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, AR)

Welcome - I also live in northern Illinois

VPM, I saw in an old thread that you have a group that buys buckets together. Is that still going on? I wouldn't mind getting in on something like that. A trip up to the city is no big deal for me. Looking and asking around I haven't had any luck finding a similar group in Central Illinois.

Thanks.

VPM, I saw in an old thread that you have a group that buys buckets together. Is that still going on? I wouldn't mind getting in on something like that. A trip up to the city is no big deal for me. Looking and asking around I haven't had any luck finding a similar group in Central Illinois.

Thanks.

please pm me with your phone #

Latest posts

Back