Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the big issue(s) with these wine(s) Jim?

There was a very harsh, overly acidic profile. Fruit was non-existent as was any other flavor, aside what I would describe as 'dirty dishwater'. They were just unpleasant. Also a strong green pepper nose and flavor in the Syrah. Pre-fermentation numbers were pretty good and flavor early on was as well.

Really hated reading this. Could it have been just bad juice? Kind of strange all 4 were different juices with the same result. Had anyone else bought the same juice that you know of?

Carmenere, Cab Sauv, Syrah, Merlot anyone?

Fred: They all seemed to start just fine. It was when I got to MLF that I started having issues. MLF wouldn't take off, then things started going south aroma and taste-wise.

Carmenere, Cab Sauv, Syrah, Merlot anyone?

Fred: They all seemed to start just fine. It was when I got to MLF that I started having issues. MLF wouldn't take off, then things started going south aroma and taste-wise.

I did a Pinot Noir in 2016, did a Syrah this year. I haven't tested the PN since the end of May, thanks for the reminder to rack and Kmeta this weekend. Maybe I'll tip a carboy tonight and confirm it is still progressing in the right direction. I'm about out of beer, sounds like a good alternative.

Just a WAG here but more than likely the grapes were picked too early. Even if they brix is up to where it needs to be things happen the longer you let the grapes hang on the vine and ripen further. One of the things that falls the longer you let a grape hang is Pyrazine which is the culprit for the vegetal (bell pepper) off flavors/odors. If you have not you should tell Harford what happened. Its 5000 miles from Chile to the DC area and they probably jumped the gun a little early as I think most often the problem is over ripe fruit that molds before it makes its way to the US.

Latest posts

Back