Wine Cellar Cooling Units

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebones

Junior
Reaction score
New member - 1st post - I made about 50 gallons of wine in September '08 and I am now in the process of building a wine cellar in my home. I am struggling with a decision about what kind of cooling unit to use. The room will be about 6 feet W by 8 feet L by 7 feet H - less than 350 sq ft. I originally was going to buy either a $1500 WhisperKool or Breezaire unit, but after reading negative online reviews about them, I am very hesitant about their reliability and longevity.

Is there anyone in this forum who can give a positive review of either of these products?

If not, my next choice might be to upgrade my option to buy a more expensive Vigilant Climatech unit ($3-4000). Has anyone used these brands? Can you suggest a reliable solution? I can't spend more than $4500.

I just don't know anybody who has cooled a wine cellar other than my father-in-law, who uses simply a cheap old air-conditioner, which I don't believe is an appropriate solution.

Thanks for any of your qualified opinions.

Winezone Split Air Handler Refrigeration Unit: Wine Cellar I...

Fondis Wine Cellar Air Conditioners

http://search.netscape.com/search/r...mPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults
I dont have any units for my cellar as I live in an area where it stays pretty cool and my cellar is almost fully subterranean and temps stay around 58* and humidity is great 3/4 of the year but need to run de-humidifier through the real bad part of summer. Hope that helps and hope you stay awhile. What area are you in as that may help us get a better idea of your conditions.

Edited by: wade

Thanks - I live in Central Massachusetts - my cellar temperature now is about 64 degrees, but I know the summer will change that significantly, and I'll need a way to keep the temp and humidity constant.

I installed a Breezaire WKE 4000 unit in my old wine cellar in 1999 and it is still working today without any problems. It is a bit noisy, but has done an effective job keeping a wine room cool in Texas summer heat for over 9 years.

I bought a new A/C unit at Walmart for 96 dollars and it does just fine, it is set for 68 in the summer, since I use synthetic corks I don't worry about the humidity, I also have a heater and fan in there now for the winter set at 50 degrees. I live in Maine. I have never had any problems with my wine or beer. Been at this 4 years now.

20081129_044216_CIMG1891_Medium.JPG

Latest posts

Back