Mosti Mondiale Help with MM Alljuice Purchase

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilljockey

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a bit here, and am very pleased to see the many positive recommendations on the MM products.

I'm about to pull the trigger on my first MM Alljuice kit and am looking for some recommendations. To date, I have only worked with three kits: Cellar Craft 18L Caremenere w/ grapepack, Heron Bay Temperanillo/Grenache (both bulk aging since October), and I have a Cellar Craft 16L Old Vines Zin w/grapepack in secondary.

I'm a bit of a novice wineo, and my preferences have tended along the newer world styles up to this point (Australian Shiraz', Spanish Temperanillos, Caremenere is a favorite in general as is Petite Syrah).

I've only had one glass of Amarone in my life. I liked it...but the 'raisiny' profile was not quite what I was used to, so I'm a little dicey on it right now. I am, however giving it great consideration due to the many positive reviews on it on these boards.

Other than the Amarone, I'm also curious about the Castel de Papa, Petite Syrah, and Zin.

I'm looking to branch out a bit from my standard New World preferences....but I want to take small steps first.

Any recommendations? Many, many thanks in advance!

I have the MM AllJuice Castel del Papa in secondary now, ready to rack later this week to bulk age for a few months. It is my first red kit, I did a few whites earlier since I was getting antsy with grape wine season winding down.

The quality of the wine exceeds my expectations. It is not as big as the heavy hitters of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but already has very clean and focussed Southern Rhone character.No off flavors and exceptional balance. I can already tell thiswill probablybe consumed in the first year after it is bottled.

The kit was incredibly easy to start and make. No dilution, no grape packs. Just get the kit at the right temperature and go. You transfer all of the sediment at the first racking, and the lees settle quickly. I ended up with about .5 liters extra for topping at the 2nd racking.

I will make more of these....Edited by: FineWino

I am considering the Castel del Papa also for my next red. I really enjoyed Chateauneuf du Pape in the '70s and hevent had any in years. Before that though, I will have to do the MM Meglioli Barolo that is coming in February.

I also have the MM AllJuice Castel del Papa in secondary. Haven't tasted it yet but it smelled wonderful right from the beginning.

FW are you considering supplemental oak during bulk aging?

Grilljockey, I have my first MM AJ ready to drink after 10 months. It is a white Chard/Semillion blend. I think it is going to be a hit this summer! No KTnow and very littleduring aging.

I'm going to keep making these AJ kits as I believe they are likely to be better than a commercial 10-15$ bottle. Havethe Trebbiano and Sav Blanc kits on deck (for drinking summer of 09), Two reds bulk aging, and acouple of AJ Master's Edition reds bulk aging too. Some of those may be ready by the end of this year but I will be patient and let them get there!Edited by: Jack on Rainy

I have been struggling with the question of additional oak on my Alljuice Castel del Papa. The style traditionally doesn't rely on a lot of oak, and I really like the fruit/earth character of the wine as it is right now (I pulled a couple of ounces to taste laste night, day 18 since pitching yeast.) My intent now is to rack it into bulk without any oak, and make a judgement call in 2-3 months. If I do add any, it will be a minimal amount.

I have been very impressed with quality of the AJ wines. The Catel de Papa didn't last long for me. I was too eager for the fist few bottles and then gave almost all the rest away.

I have the AJ Chianti clearing now so it will be a year or so before I even touch that one.

I have a year old Amarone which I distributed this Christmas to some really positive comments. It wasn't an AJ kit but comparable in price and presumaby quality. The raising taste become much more subtle with age and adds more body rather than taste. The Amarone is off dry (1 on the scale) so it is a little different than many full bodied reds.

Nonetheless, I suspect that to would enjoy.

Peter

Latest posts

Back