Dandelion Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitshot0

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first contribution to the Fine Vine Wines Form. I really like making Dandelion Wine, and I was wondering if anyone else specialized in it. I live in Pennsylvania and would be very interested in learning from someone who has done this before. I made a batch 13 years ago, and I've been told it's very good. I made another batch in 2006 and I think it's better than my last batch. Anyway I look forward to being a part of this web site and I welcome any or all questions that any of you have. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Have a great day, with a good glass of wine.

welcome Splitshot0!! welcome to the best forum in the universe. I do believe you will find everyone here to be quite friendly and helpful.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the dandelion wine. I can't really answer your thread, but I'm sure there's someone here who has made it before. Is it a unique flavor or can you compare it to something similar?

Welcome Splitshot0....Dandelion wine has been on my to do for a couple years now and still not done....I have heard it is an awesome wine...Enjoy and glad you are here with us..
smiley20.gif

Welcome aboard, Splitshot!

One of the great aspects of this forum is quick results -- oops, I see you've already got some replies as I started this!

But...one of the great aspects of this forum is quick results PLUS the "search" function -- I just tried it using "dandelion" and got 11 previous threads which all have a lot of information you can read, while you're waiting for more folks to answer your specific questions.

Welcome splitshot. I, Like Bert, have had this on my list for some time an could never see myself picking all those little peddles off. But I tried one a couple of weks ago for the first time and it was really easy. So this year, I'll try it. Maybe you can post a little tutorial with pictures as we all make a batch together.

Welcome Splitshot. I have to admit I am very curious about this wine
but have not roustered up the courage to try this as of yet. I have a
guy a road away from me whose yard(so to say, really has no grass) is
LOADED with dandelions every year and I mean Loaded! I may have to make
a batch this year if he'll let me pick um.

Welcome Splitshot0 to the forum. How do you make yours? Why don't you list your recipe for those folks who have never done one? Do you pick the petals off or just use the whole flowerhead. I've seen it done both ways and they were both very good. What do you use for starting SG. Do you sweeten it or leave it totally dry. These are the kinds of things we will all want to know. Oh and of course as you do another batch in the spring, post plenty of pictures.
smiley4.gif

Sang: Could we all make it together? I'm thinking of the timing of ripeness of the dandelion around the country. Can the southerners freeze them till the folks up north are ready? It would be interesting to have a group Batch off! I wonder if they would all come out the same, some with clearing issues and some not. Would be interesting to see what the variables would be.

I made 3 batches this year and it must need a lot of aging cause it isn't drinkable yet.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all somehow work on a batch together? I once did a project in a music forum where one person taped themself on drums and then mailed it on and the next person put guitar on it, etc until we had a whole song built up. That was fun. I don't guess it would work with a batch of wine!

However... a "batch off" isn't a bad idea. Especially if we can all get together later in the year at winestock and compare. But even something on the forum would be cool... we all start off with the same wine type and compare where recipes differ, readings differ... who does what when and how, etc. ??? I think it would be interesting to see different techniques taking place.

Hey stinkie, if youv'e racked a couple of times, the airlock is going
dormant, and the s.g. reads .990, it's ready and it IS gonna taste
rough. If ya wanna drink some immediately, this is where conditioner
comes in. I find that half a pint to five gallons makes new, harsh
though correctly made wines very drinkable.

Didn't Martina make some Dandelion wine? I know she made wine from just about every other kind of plant/flower and did a damn good job of I can atttest to

wade, what's the raisons recipe?
Waldo, which of her wines did you have the pleasure of tasting. I've never had any wine made with flowers. I would like to try the dandelion after reading Jack Keller's recipe

Lets see sang.I know I tried a rose hip, sage, anise-banana and chrysanthemum

anise-banana? whoa... that sounds like something I need to try. that sounds like it would be a great mead.

Hi Sang

Imade a 1 gallon batch of Marigold Wine last year and just bottled it and it is great , I plan on planting a row in my garden 3 ft wide and 30 ft long just for making wine, The wife loves it.

Harry in Tx

Harry....Could you post your recipe and any pictures you might have of the wine

Wow!!! Thanks everyone who made me feel so welcome here. As for the Dandelion wine I made, I don't have pictures, but I do have a video of it in the carboy fermenting. I just have to figure out how to move it here. I bottled it already and I made my labels for the bottles. I just put them on yesterday and they look fine for my first home made label. I will post a picture of the label here so you can all give me you honest opionions. Thanks again everyone, and I will place my recipe here as well. Have a great day to all of you.

Dave

Latest posts

Back