Cru Select Chardonnay yeast ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased two kits from a kit seller The kits are Cru Select New Zealand Chardonnay and En Premier Australian Shiraz. They both arrived today and I'm in the process of putting together the Chardonnay kit (16 L) The kit included a sachet of Lalvin EC-1118. The seller sent along two additional yeast sachets; Vintner's Harvest CL23 and Vintner's Harvest VR21. I'm guessing the VR 21 is for the Shiraz and the CL23 is for the Chardonnay, right?

Should I pitch the Lalvin or the Vintner's Harvest?

Thanks in advance :b

I have never done a kit but I have used a D-47 Lalvin for my chardonnay. If you google Lalvin yeast chart you will see each yeasts pros and cons, (temps., alcohol tolerance etc.)

I have never used the Vint. yeasts.

I have never done a kit but I have used a D-47 Lalvin for my chardonnay. If you google Lalvin yeast chart you will see each yeasts pros and cons, (temps., alcohol tolerance etc.)

I have never used the Vint. yeasts.

thanks.....I pitched the Vintner CL23. I figured there's a reason he sent it along. 21 Brix. Sound about right? :b

Some yeasts do not handle concentrates well. That's the first thing I would try to find out. The retailer should be including a note explaining the suggested substitution.

BTW, I do not recall reading about Vintner's Harvest yeasts before, but there seem to be a number of stores sellng them.

Also, based on one of those sellers (http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Vintner_s_Harvest_Yeast.html) ...
EC-1118 and CL23 are both Saccharomyces Bayanus. RC-212 and VR21 are both Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. But BV7 is also Saccharomyces Cerevisiae and it is specifically recommended for chardonnay at the page that I linked above.

Oh well, who knows???

Steve

Some yeasts do not handle concentrates well. That's the first thing I would try to find out. The retailer should be including a note explaining the suggested substitution.

BTW, I do not recall reading about Vintner's Harvest yeasts before, but there seem to be a number of stores sellng them.

Also, based on one of those sellers (http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Vintner_s_Harvest_Yeast.html) ...
EC-1118 and CL23 are both Saccharomyces Bayanus. RC-212 and VR21 are both Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. But BV7 is also Saccharomyces Cerevisiae and it is specifically recommended for chardonnay at the page that I linked above.

Oh well, who knows???

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

what's done is done. guess I'll know in a few months. According to the tech sheet for CL23, it's a solid selection for Chardonnay. we'll see.

Is is possible to pitch Saccharomyces Cerevisiae into a wine and expect good result? I've so many different strains of SC on slant it's silly. If so, how could I build a starter from a very small yeast colony?

thanks

Latest posts

Back