Portuguese floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

I love this obsession
Reaction score
I am just looking for some opinions and I know you all will give me yours... haha :a1 Hey I am looking to get a floor corker and I cork 30ish bottles every month or so (so far this will slow a little). So my question is except for the plastic jaws what is the difference between this and an Italian corker and is it really worth the extra $60. for someone like me??

Duhhh sorry about that. Thanks for that link winemaker! I should have thought about searching.. Just looking at corkers online and wasn't thinking..

I love my port. floor corker. What a great investment. Great time and labor saver! My jaws are nylon.

So I take it from this thread that a port corker will be just fine for my use.. Thanks guys!:b

If you have nylon jaws DO NOT USE SYNTHETICS. The nylon jaws will crease the cork and you may get leaks. Otherwise go for it

I have the nylon jaews and have used synthetic with no problems. Now for what it's worth My local guy told me if you have the old corker with three screws on top you'll have problems. The newer corker only has two screw heads on top and they do not have problems with them. I have the new one and have done lots of synthetics in the past. I am not endorsing it just telling my experiance. I know someone else with the older one and they do have problems creasing synthetic corks.

I think the older Port floor corkers had the brass and then they switched to the nylon to cut the cost down. One other difference with Port and Italian is that the arm is longer on the Italian model giving you a little more leverage as they are also used with Champagne corks which need a stronger pull.

I think the older Port floor corkers had the brass and then they switched to the nylon to cut the cost down. One other difference with Port and Italian is that the arm is longer on the Italian model giving you a little more leverage as they are also used with Champagne corks which need a stronger pull.

That might explain why mine is brass :h

I have been using an old double lever hand corker, it just pushes the cork in from the center without compressing it first. Does not do a very good job. Does the Port floor corker compress the cork first? I see there is a wine shop near Orlando where I can buy one for $54.00, deal or no deal Loren

Yes it compresses it first then it pushes it in. Its what I use and have been using for years now.

I have been using an old double lever hand corker, it just pushes the cork in from the center without compressing it first. Does not do a very good job. Does the Port floor corker compress the cork first? I see there is a wine shop near Orlando where I can buy one for $54.00, deal or no deal Loren
Yes it compresses the cork..
DEAL .. go for it !

That is about what I paid for mine last month and I thought it was a good investment. Actually I went together with a friend who makes mead and we split the cost. If you look at the cost of other pieces of equipment $60 does not seem that much. Some concentrates approach that price and I felt I did not need the expected aggravation of a small hand corker..

Last edited:
I've only had my Port floor corker for a couple of months but it was worth every penny. I love it and am a little upset I did not purchase sooner.

I am with Twisted, I have a port corker that is only 3 - 4 months old. Nylon jaws and I wish I had bought it when I first got into this hobby

Broke mine in yesterday, bottled 5 gallon of Lambrusco. What a difference over the hand corker. Loren

Latest posts

Back