Lost trust with my LHBS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I needed to vent and say thank you to everyone here.

I went to my LHBS on my lunch today to purchase a bottle filler, corks, etc. The owner had approached me and asked if I needed help finding anything so I asked where the corks were.

I grabbed the 100 ct. bag of #9 natural corks, and asked if boiling or cold soak would be better for sanitizing. She told me "you bottle with the cork completely dry, and while corking it the bottle needs to be laying on its side so the cork stays moist."

In my head, I immediately said "Well, if that's the case, the wine would spill everywhere." She then told me not to use a floor corker, but one of the mini-corkers as they are much more efficient.

Don't think I'll be going there again. *rant over* So thank you all for providing me peace of mind and great knowledge throughout my journey! :h

Well, to her credit, I will say she was correct, as I understand it, in her directions about sanitizing. Neither soak nor boil your corks. I would say if it really bothers you (i.e., if you are a beer brewer), you could spritz with k-meta solution. I keep my corks in a "corkidor" on bottling day.

I imagine you must have misheard her directions about corking while the bottle is on its side (or else she is stark raving looney-toons). I don't even know how one would go about trying that. And, obviously, I agree with you that the floor corker is the way to go.

I normally use composite corks. Less chance of issues and cork taint I have found. And I am not making a $40 a bottle Cabernet Sauvignon so these types of corks are fine. Personally I soak my corks in room temp k-meta for a few hours before bottling just to sanitize them and loosen them up a bit. Never boil, weird things come out of the cork in hot water.

She misspoke or perhaps you misunderstood about corking with the bottle while on its side. Did you ask her why she was of the opinion of mini-corkers being much more efficient? Maybe she got the impression you were a low volume wine hobbyist and was thinking cost effectiveness but spoke spoke instead about efficiency?

I believe she might have meant after you cork the bottle lay it on its side and you do keep the corks dry

I can sympathize, but it must be difficult for the LHBSs to stay in business now that it is so simple to just order the exact thing you want online. Most can't afford to stock the kind of inventory we might wish for, and keep it fresh.

As for advising against a floor corker (one of our most valued tools) is it possible they stocked the mini corker but not the floor corker? I recently went to our local wine making shop for a 6 gallon carboy. They had none, but tried to sell me on 3 gallon or 5 gallon, which were in stock, saying "no one wants 6 gallons." Still trying to shop local, I called the new brew store and they only stock 3, 5, or 6.5 gallons and suggested the 6.5 size would be more useful than what I was asking for. Figured both places were just interested in moving what they had on hand. Neither offered to order a 6 gallon for me, so I ordered online myself.

Cher

I have 2 LHBS about the same distance from my house. The first one I only visit if it is an absolute necessity because the owner has the personallity of a board. He will always ask what I am making then tell me I am doing wrong and it won't work. The second is a very nice guy always willing to help and thinks it is great for anyone to think outside the box. I guess it's just the difference between two different people, but which one would you use?

BOB

I guess I'm pretty lucky. My LHBS is owned by a couple -- she handles wine, he handles beer. Both are very knowledgeable, personable, and friendly.

The kicker is they frequently have lower prices than I can find online.

She misspoke or perhaps you misunderstood about corking with the bottle while on its side. Did you ask her why she was of the opinion of mini-corkers being much more efficient? Maybe she got the impression you were a low volume wine hobbyist and was thinking cost effectiveness but spoke spoke instead about efficiency?

She had asked how many bottles I was going to use (told her three cases), then she said to use the mini-corker with the bottle on its side.

She probably misspoke, but I was kind of shocked she had said that. I didn't ask why the mini-corker would be more efficient, however.

Maybe "lost trust" is a bit much, but its one of those things where I'd probably only go back for necessity. They are a beer focused shop, so maybe that could be part of it, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back