Banana Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
This recipe is for a one (1) gallon which can be increased as desired. This recipe came from the Winemakers Recipe Handbook by Raymond Massaccesi, although modified somewhat.

(Fresh or Dried Banana) I used "fresh-over ripe with skins.

4 lbs. Bananas, slice bananas with skins, place in nylon bag and tie.

1 1/2 qts. water-boil on stove, add nylon bag to water and simmer for 30 minutes. The bananas will totally melt down. Dispose of remains which was totally only the peels. Pour hot liquor over sugar in primary and mix thoroughly. Stir in remainder of cold water and all other ingredients. (StartingS.G. 1.095) When temperature is around 85 degrees or lower,add the yeast. Cover primary, stir daily and check S.G.- When S.G. reaches 1.040, strain out and syphon to secondary. When S.G. reaches 1.000, rack again to clean secondary.

Syphon again in 2 months and again if necessary until clear.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cup chopped light raisins&nbsp ; ;&nbsp ; ;&nbsp ; ;

7 pints of water

2 1/4 lbs. of sugar

3 tsp. Acid Blend

1/4 tsp. Tannin

1 tsp. Nutrient

1-package yeast

Comments: I had used raw Hawaiian sugar and had added and additional 1/4/ cup above the recipe to bring it up to starting S.G. In my first tasting, the wine was rather "hot" and being a young wine, the taste of the fruit was rather quite mild to nothing. Later as it developed the bite diminished and the aromas increased. It cleared rather quickly on its own. (I personally do not like to use any agents for clearing if not needed...time will do that if you're patient.) It has been bulk aging for 7 months and is really good. I will let it age another two months before bottling though. ( I would probably next time decrease the "tanin" abit, and change my yeast from EC-1118 to D-47 or a sherry yeast.

Edited by: Maui Joe

Thanks for the recipe, I may try this, or try mixing banana's with strawberrys this summer.

Oh that sounds EXCELLENT, Maui!

I might just have to try that one too!

So many wines, so little time!

It is good I found someone besides myself who uses the entire banana! Some old timers say alot of tannin in the peels.

CW, I believe that too! An "old timer" winemaker here has been doing it for years. In fact, he doesn't add any tanin to his wines at all. If he needs too, he adds more peel and is happy with that. Some old recipes need not to be changed. In his apple wines, he also adds more skins and stems. "Always room for learning."

Alright!I would think using whatever tannin source is available on the particular fruit you are using would be better suited for that wine than using grape tannin for everything. You know, like breaking a few blackberry seeds by mistake? Make sense?

Yes, but many recipes call for NO SEEDS whatsoever. I would be leery about adding the seeds.

He's joking of course...
smiley36.gif

Actually, no. I mean you know like all the tannin in the banana peels is all you need for the banana wine, no need to add grape tannin powder. The skins in my muscadine wine gives me plenty of tannin for that wine.

Too many seeds will give a bitter taste if cracked, but do contribute alot of tannin.

Latest posts

Back