increase the alcohol % on a home kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamy

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but here goes anyway.

My first wine kit that's now fermenting away promises a 12 % alcohol Shiraz wine. Is there a way to increase this % as I generally like the 13.5% / 14% reds.?

many thanks

DSCF5100.jpg

Sure you could have added some sugar before pitching the yeast. Best to do then because then you can use sg readings to monitor the sugar addition.

In another post you mention that this is a Ken Ridge Classic kit. What sg reading did you get before pitching the yeast? I would expect about 1.084. Final sg around .992. For about 12.2% as you indicated.

Steve

I have added sugar to kits before, as cpfan said. It works. I have two blackberry merlot kits going. One made per the kit instructions, and to the other I added some extra sugar for more ABV (+2%). We just did our first tasting yesterday and you can certainly tell the difference.

Note: I've been taking Joe's advice and "thinking outsdie the BOX"!

One easy way is when you rack off the gross lees and then the fines etc down the road, top off with high ABV like wine, something in the 15% range. Each bottle added should bump up the ABV ~.25% or so.

Is there a way to increase this % as I generally like the 13.5% / 14% reds.?

many thanks

.. yes it's a £15.00 aquarium heater with a home made bung as the office I am using to make this is not ideal temperature wise.

... adding a 15% wine to boost the home made wine seems a bit extravagant seeing as I am doing this to save money?

..I will keep this going as per the box instructions but, next time, what amount/type of sugar could I use to boost the alc % ?

Thanks for all your replies

DSCF5089.jpg

Rather than adding sugar go for a different kit (probably more expensive though). I don't know what is available in the UK, but the Ken Ridge Founders Series Australian Riverland Region Shiraz is advertised at 13.8%. However, I believe that kit comes with grape skins which will challenge the location of your heater.

Steve

!!! just googled Ken Ridge Founders Series Australian Riverland Region Shiraz and it's £83.00 here for 18L .

per bottle it's not as bad as it looks ..just need to get it past the wife first!

thanks again

Aquamarine heaters are submersible. I put mine on the bottoms that allows a heat convection to happen, given a more even heating of must. Works better than a beer belt. You can set the temp and forget about it. I have my primary set up same way and think he must be smart as hell to figure this all out. At least I thought I was! I know they are UL rated

me 009.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words mmadmike1. I just dont want to leave anything to chance on my first batch of wine! Its going to taste great!!!

cheers

... adding a 15% wine to boost the home made wine seems a bit extravagant seeing as I am doing this to save money?

..I will keep this going as per the box instructions but, next time, what amount/type of sugar could I use to boost the alc % ?

Thanks for all your replies

Totally agree - even though the post is years old I have to vigorously agree with that.

As well that's just mixing store bought wine - very extravagant and save money or not what's the point of making wine if you just go out and buy it?
Unless it's something uniquel like a Lemoncello 80 percent ABV thing or a "real" port that needs brandy..

And sugar costs less than one buck per kilo.
Just add sugar to desired SG calculating what your ending might be usually .990 to .995.

EC1118 yest goes to 18 percent alcohol tolerance though keeping it going with nutrient might be helpful.

Latest posts

Back