Did I screw up (too long in the primary)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm doing an Island Mist Blueberry Pinot kit. 1st attempt at wine making.

I read the directions wrong.

The directions say that when the SG gets to 1.010, transfer it to the Secondary.

However, when I read that, I mentally thought 1.001. So, I basically waited an additional day in the primary fermentation bucket, before I moved it to the carboy.

By the time I realized my mistake, the SG was down to .998.

I now have it in the carboy, and it's bubbling away. Temp is 75.

If it matters, while it was in the pimary, I simply had the bucket lid laying on top (not sealed), without an air lock.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Your fine.I'm guessing its in the secondary now. Continur to follow the directions and you will be OK

Most of my mist kits were down to there when I racked them as well. Some .994 if I remember right. I never had any problems. I have only been at this a couple years so can't offer much advice, just shareing what has happened to me.

Yeah, no reason to sweat this Stevie. Its best to transfer it with a little action left but you won't have any probs.

I'm guessing your from StevensPoint, got a great friend in Milwaukee who grew up there. Last name Robbins, all I can tell you.

Lots of Wisconsin members in here lately. What happened, you all quit making beer while I was away? LOL

I ferment almost all my wines to completeion in primary and like this method better.

wade:
Really? Wow. What SG do you aim for? (granted it may be different for different wines).

What do you use for a cover?

Do you put the primary under an airlock?

I do use my lid locked down with airlock as I have cats that will sneak in my room and jump right onto anything and if there wasnt a lid on there Id be fermenting a few cats. I open daily and stir in some 02 so thats no problem. Ive been doing so for many years this way with no problem at all. Some kits actually have you do it this way and it sure helps you get the gas out with all that openess. I actually ferment all my reds and darker fruit wines thos way till completion. Other wines like apple or other delicate wines that can oxidize easily I rack at 1.010 and use ascorbic acid up front along with the sulfite to protect it from oxidizing.

Wade I thought it was you that taught me to transfer to the secondary around 1.015 or so? Thats what I've been doing.

SP, kits may be different, but I always ferment in an open bucket with a clean cloth over the top, and then put it under an airlock for the secondary and there after. It can get stinky.

I currently have a batch of elder/raspberry going in an open container and its stinky, whew. Hard to believe something like that can end up so good.
LOL

Last edited:
I ferment in a 6 gallon bucket with a lid. (I don't have cats). I'll ferment all the way to 1.000 then rack. I'll stir twice daily. My plum wine had me rack @ 1.020 and I did but couldn't understand why until now.

I like racking AFTER it's fully (or close to) completion.

For my apples and pears I just fermented juice, no skins or pulp. My tropical blend I removed the fruit @ 1.020 and let it finish fermenting.

Either it's luck or I'm doing something right as I've never had a problem.
KNOCK ON WOOD

How much wood, would a woodknock, knock, if a woodknock could knock wood?

There are pros and cons to everything in life but if you stir in primary to get that extra 02 theres nothing but pros. If you rack to carboy earlier then you may need to stir before doing so as you could leave too much viable yeast behind and end up with e fermentation that doesnt want to finish. So truly either way you really need to stir it up some or you could get into trouble once in awhile.

Gotcha, I see what you mean. Kinda had a similar question related to stirring but I understand what you mean now.

There are pros and cons to everything in life but if you stir in primary to get that extra 02 theres nothing but pros. If you rack to carboy earlier then you may need to stir before doing so as you could leave too much viable yeast behind and end up with e fermentation that doesnt want to finish. So truly either way you really need to stir it up some or you could get into trouble once in awhile.

Wouldn't the cats stir it well Wade?

My cats stir everytime they get a good wiff of the stuff brewing. Sometimes they stare at me funny. Probably because everytime I drink the stuff I stare at them the same way. LMAO.

If your kits or recipe calls for the addition of an oak powder & yeast nutrient, I add that to the primary to avoid a wine volcano. The SG is normally pretty low by the time I move it to seconday.
So your batch will be fine. Have a glass of wine and relax. :)

Latest posts

Back