Sodium vs Potassium Metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Tymer

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All, what is the difference between potassium and Sodium meta?
If nothing, How much Potassium = Sodium meta

I have a recipe that calls for 3.1 grams of Potassium, What is that in sodium Meta?

Thanks in advance!

3.1 grams

Although K-meta is a bit stronger than Na-meta, most people don't worry about the difference.

Many people use Na-meta as a sanitizer and K-meta as a wine additive because people are trrying to reduce the sodium in their diet. In fact, commercial wineries are not allowed to use K-meta in their wines.

K = potassium. Na = sodium

Steve

Hmm...

As y'all were talking about potassium vs sodium metabisulfite, I was confusing those two with potassium metabifulfite and potassium sorbate...hah!

I guess That I've got some studying to do, huh?

oxeye

3.1 grams

Although K-meta is a bit stronger than Na-meta, most people don't worry about the difference.

Many people use Na-meta as a sanitizer and K-meta as a wine additive because people are trrying to reduce the sodium in their diet. In fact, commercial wineries are not allowed to use K-meta in their wines.

K = potassium. Na = sodium

Steve

But it is simpler to just use Potassium metabisulfite as both a preservative and sanitizer. Why bother having both?

Campden Tablets, which generally consist of sodium-meta are handy though, for small batches of wine. Although they are a pain to crush in order to have them dissolve completely.

Campden Tablets, which generally consist of sodium-meta are handy though, for small batches of wine.
Depends where you buy them. When I was a retailer, most of my suppliers sold K-meta campden, only one sold both.

Steve

Latest posts

Back