How-To: Vintner’s Harvest Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
2006-01-22_152052_1a.jpg

Hello everyone! I finally got around to make my Christmas Present, The Vintner's Harvest Black Currant Concentrate wine. I had the camera handy, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Yes, I know I spelled "Vintner" wrong on the title.
smiley5.gif

2006-01-22_152147_1.jpg

First, read the instructions BEFORE you open the can to make sure you have everything on hand:

2006-01-22_152253_2.jpg

Make sure the kitchen is "cat-free" but make sure you give the critters some hug-time (Spencer asked to be the model for this photo):

2006-01-22_152339_3.jpg

Okay, the cats are out of the area. Here's the recipe I will use:

2006-01-22_152540_4.jpg

So, time to pour the concentrate into the well-sanitized primary:

2006-01-22_152629_5.jpg

Add 3.5 cans of water to the must.

Add your winemaking arsenal to the must.

2006-01-22_152717_arsenal.jpg

I made a yeast starter, which will be added the next day: http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 149&get=last#15774

Add 6 # of sugar:

2006-01-22_152902_6.jpg

I wanted this to be a lower alc. wine, so I first added 4#...

2006-01-22_152942_7.jpg

Do not add sugar from this height. I only did if for effect. Of course, I got the floor all messed up again.

I took an SG reading:

2006-01-22_153032_8.jpg

Hmmmm. 1.060..... A little low. Added more sugar:

2006-01-22_153102_7.jpg

Took another SG reading:

2006-01-22_153122_9.jpg

Great! 1.070!!! That will give me a wine, when fermented to dryness of about 10.8% abv...

So, I put the lid on, let the must cool overnight to room temperature, and now for the un-fun stuff....

2006-01-22_153301_10.jpg

To be continued!!!!

Edited by: MedPretzel

I will be watching this one, Great info. Looks like we have another "Ham" here huh? Great job and look forward to chapter 2.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Love your cat... You can just tell by his face he is a cat with personnality (sometimes refered to as attitude).

Please keep us posted with pics (we love pics). I tryed a rasberry last year and didn't like the way it came out, but I know it was something I did but can't figure it out. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Also, I always thought (just asssumed I guess) that the sugar had to be desolved in boiling (hot) water to desolve. What would be the difference between and just pouring it in the way you did? I would preferr to just pour it in when I can.

Oh yea, one more small thing, Love the pants..........

Hahaha,

Thanks for the uh, compliments (??) about the pants. It was a "grunge day" at the Wine-cellar --- obviously....
smiley5.gif

If you look closely at the picture where I am squatting with the sugar, you will see that in my other hand, I am hold none other than Mr. Greenmouse.

I don't see any real benefit one way or the other about dissolving the sugar in boiling or luke-warm water. I imagine that it dissolves quicker in boiling water. The must was campden-tabletted, so I didn't think I needed to boil the water. Plus, the directions said I didn't need to.

Spencer thanks you very much for his moment of fame, and was mad that it was his only photo.
smiley36.gif

The reason that some pictures are missing is because (as always), the batteries died on me. I have them recharging, so more pics will probably come tomorrow.

M.

Have I missed any follow ups to this? I am gonna make one of these. Probably a blueberry. How's this batch going so far?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Well, fermentation took off after getting the yeast starter to go.

It didn't bubble tremendously like other "scratch" wines, but here's where you could get an idea:

2006-02-15_161440_vintners.jpg

I've also transferred it to the carboy and it's probably due for racking. I might do this on thursday (check the general discussion forum for the link) while the webcam is running. I will take pictures as well if I do.

smiley1.gif

Sorry for not updating this thread. Not much going on, except slowing of the airlock. I haven't even tasted it, but I think I diluted a tad too much. I have about 750 ml for topping up left over. Will tell you more tomorrow night.... If I haven't nipped too much at the other wines.
smiley2.gif

I been meaning to ask you, is that kitty litter bucket yo used for a primary food grade? I have like 4 of those in the wash room. Never thought about using them for a smaller primary.

Oh yeah, hows the wine coming?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Is there an expirationdate on the Vintners Harvest fruits?

I have a local store that sells these, but I know they have been there for a "long" time.

smurfe said:
I been meaning to ask you, is that kitty litter bucket yo used for a primary food grade? I have like 4 of those in the wash room. Never thought about using them for a smaller primary.

Oh yeah, hows the wine coming?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

yes it is a kitty litter bucket, and yes, itis food-grade. (at least scoop-away is)

I thoroughly cleaned it out many times before using. I never had problems. I use them for all sorts of things, because I like to recycle. They are a great size for drying carboys too (neck down).

nothing new on the wines. just aging.

So Martina, you do not dissolve your sugar before adding it to the must? You must be a glutton for stirring
smiley36.gif

That wine shore looks yummy though. I may have to try me a batch of thet Currant

Update on this wine.

I would HIGHLY recommend this concentrate.

If you know what black currants taste like, and you've grown up with jelly, jam, and anything else from this berry, you will DEFINITELY love the wine.

Using the way I made it, you still taste the berries/fruit very strong, yet at 6 months it is only a tad hot. Give it another 6 months for this wine, and it will be fantastic. It's already superduper right now, but I can imagine it will be smoother. My husband loved it too.

I haven't done a taste-testing on my parents yet, but.... They'll love it. It tastes like the jelly my gramma used to make (to die for), and the jam that I made once (not as good, but good because it was homemade).

So, people, go for the Vintner's Harvest Black Current concentrate. Oops, I just saw Geo isn't offering it anymore. (???)

M.

Latest posts

Back