Other What is your favorite full-bodied Red wine making kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm torn. I was planning to purchase the trio red (Syrah, Zinfandel, and Cabernet Sauvignon) but have seen all the comments here for the Super Tuscan. I really love a complex red with a lot of depth. Any Recs between the 2? They are both priced right at $100 on homebrewsupply.com

I'm torn. I was planning to purchase the trio red (Syrah, Zinfandel, and Cabernet Sauvignon) but have seen all the comments here for the Super Tuscan. I really love a complex red with a lot of depth. Any Recs between the 2? They are both priced right at $100 on homebrewsupply.com

I haven't done the trio red so can't speak to it. The super Tuscan is fantastic, and it was the first wine I made that gave commercial wines a run for their money.

Got both kits today (trio red and super Tuscan) and they came with lalvin EC 1118 yeast. My local supply shop has always recommended I switch to red star Pasteur red. Lalvin 212 looks like a good option also. Any Recs?

Lalvin BM 4x4 is based on dynamic synergy of specific yeast strains to optimize the sensory profile of the wine and with reliable fermentation kinetics. This new concept combines the unparalleled advantages of Lalvin BM 45 - known and appreciated around the world for contributing to round mouth feel and stable color - with the capability to consistently complete fermentations in diverse and difficult conditions. (up to 16% alcohol tolerance)

During alcoholic fermentation, Lalvin BM 4x4 releases a significant quantity of parietal polysaccharides, including certain molecules that have the remarkable ability to bind and stabilize the polyphenols in the must. This increases the stability of the color and systematically lowers the astringency of the tannins. The quantity and the quality of the polysaccharides released during fermentation, followed by yeast cell autolysis, facilitate the production of red wines that respond to consumer expectations. Lalvin BM 4x4 also increases roundness in white wines and can also help with the onset of malolactic fermentation.
https://www.homebrewery.com/Lalvin-Wine-Yeast-BM-4x4

As an LSU graduate, I'm diametrically opposed to agreeing with a GA Dawg, but I find that I must. I love BM 4x4 for all of my big reds, and agree with @gadawg and the BM 4x4 recommendation.

Johnd, just be thankful I didn't go to Alabama[emoji1]

Last edited:
Johnd, just be thankful I didn't go to Alabama[emoji1]

LOL! I'm not really a hater of any college teams, not even Alabama. Saban left LSU to coach in the pros, can't really fault him for that. When he decided to come back to college ball, his first call was to LSU to see if they were interested. Their response? "We already have our coach". Can't really fault him there either. Bet they wish they had a "do over". Everyone loves to hate him, I'm just not one of them. Probably one of the best in history.

Playing in the SEC is a pretty tough prospect, our teams beat each other up pretty badly every year, and having Alabama on your schedule every year, just lovely. We gave Bama a great game this year, but they were better. I like to see LSU do well, so watching those kids all but shut down the Heisman Trophy winner was pretty sweet. We'll see what our new coach can do with Saban next year........

RJS En Premier Winery Series Chilean Merlot. I've made the tuscan and the wine makers trio amd still prefer the merlot.

Back