Wine Club Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked the temps along your route yet? Keep track of your stops along the way if possible the the daytime temps. If you feel its cooked, then refuse to sign and call them and have them hold off and hold the wine until the fall or see if they will upgrade you to 2nd day air for free or a small extra fee.

They have always been very approachable and easy to work with.

Mine showed up. Due to be delivered next Tuesday. A nice, hot week on a truck. :ft

Have you checked the temps along your route yet? Keep track of your stops along the way if possible the the daytime temps. If you feel its cooked, then refuse to sign and call them and have them hold off and hold the wine until the fall or see if they will upgrade you to 2nd day air for free or a small extra fee.

They have always been very approachable and easy to work with.

I'm confused as to why they would ship in this fashion knowing it will send a week in a hot truck. Some of the online wine shops won't ship in those cases unless it's shipped quickly or they adds something to keep it cool.

I think I will email them. I'm not even sure what path it will take to get to me.

By all means call or email them with your concerns. I use weather.com to check daytime highs along my shipping route. And yes we are at the end of the Spring shipping season especially things headed to the South and Southwest!

I think I will email them. I'm not even sure what path it will take to get to me.

I don't know where my wine is going. I only know where its been. ;) I'll keep an eye on it though. It left Portland, OR this morning. Temps there are fine.

Just google map it. It will be very close. Then check the temps along the route. Move ~500 miles a day west to east. The kicker for you is that things don't seem to move on the weekend. They seem to sit......

I don't know where my wine is going. I only know where its been. ;) I'll keep an eye on it though. It left Portland, OR this morning. Temps there are fine.

Here is their response.

Hello David-

Thank you for your email.

We fully guarantee all of our Columbia Crest wines.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of the wines upon their arrival, simply send us an email or call us at the number listed below and we will be happy to issue you a replacement.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Do you have an infrared temp gun? If the wine arrives 74 or below I would keep it. If it arrives 75 or above then I would send it back. Keep a note either way. I don't drink my bottles for 3-5 years so that is a long time to hold a potentially cooked wine. There will not be another shipment until the Fall.

Do you have an infrared temp gun? If the wine arrives 74 or below I would keep it. If it arrives 75 or above then I would send it back. Keep a note either way. I don't drink my bottles for 3-5 years so that is a long time to hold a potentially cooked wine. There will not be another shipment until the Fall.

Nope. Not only that. My apartment complex accepts the wine (all packages) for me as I'm at work and the delivery agent can't gain access to my building. So it's not even as if I can reject it unless I tell them (the apartment staff) before it arrives and that is only if they remember. :/

You can always send it back. Just email CC and ask for a return shipping label to send it back if you have any concerns.

Mine is out for delivery this AM. Should arrive around mid morning at the house and I will grab it at lunch and get a quick bottle temp.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 7.27.27 AM.png

Hmm. Mine will spend at least a few days in 80+F temps I'm sure. I suppose I should just cancel the membership if they do not take protective measures for the shipment. I'm just not interested in buying (4) $40 bottles that will sit in 80+ degree truck for a week.

/sigh

That would be throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater but its certainly your call. You joined at the wrong time as this is the only shipment of the entire year that has any issues with heat and usually that is only with things going South and not so much East.

That would be throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater but its certainly your call. You joined at the wrong time as this is the only shipment of the entire year that has any issues with heat and usually that is only with things going South and not so much East.

Well, what I may do is see if I can switch to 2-day shipping for the $12. I will gladly pay an extra $7 (less than $2 per bottle) to ensure the wine arrives in good shape.

Another reason why I love me some FedEx. The driver knows I have no small chillen at home and rips off the big "adult sig required" sticker and drops it on the front porch. They always come around 10:00AM and I go home for lunch around 11:00AM so its not outside for very long plus I live in the middle of nowhere so no problems with people stealing things off the front porch.

I buy so much wine from OOS that they feel safe that there will not be any problems. I have a UPS driver who does the same but they often have substitute drivers so he gave me his Cell# and I call him and he calls the Sub driver and they guy will leave it at the door and sign my name.

No adult signature required?

It's 90F here right now and my package still has five days to travel in a truck. :(

Send them back or pick one, drink it and if you have any reason to suspect it is "off" in any way call or email them and tell them. They will make it right.

It's 90F here right now and my package still has five days to travel in a truck. :(

I'm not going to sweat it for now (pardon the pun). Temps in the midwest are in the low 80's for highs. Low 60's for lows. Now, if it happens to reach Baltimore tomorrow, and sits on a truck all weekend, I might be concerned. 90 tomorrow and almost as warm Saturday. Sun/Mon back into the high 70's.

Back