All in One Headspace Eliminator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head Space Eliminators

I got 4 head space eliminators from Steve 5 or 6 weeks ago. Put 3 of them to work right away on kits that had just finished in secondary. They work great. No need to top-up or rack to various smaller CBs. Received 4 more yesterday. I have several more kits and country wines to do this fall so I'm sure I'm going to need more. I think I'm going to use them for bulk aging as well, just have to be sure to check that the bulb stays deflated.Thanks Steve you have turned out another great product.:try

LOUMIK:b

I put 2 of these on after racking last night and it is so simple! I loved not having to worry about how to top up. Thanks Steve!

I think I'm going to use them for bulk aging as well, just have to be sure to check that the bulb stays deflated.
LOUMIK:b

Maybe Steve could give us some more info on the protection provided during long term aging. Even with a real good vacuum, you will not pull all of the oxygen out of the carboy. As Steve notes on his web site: The Eliminator is designed primarily for the first 8 critical weeks of winemaking.

I have one and love it, but it is a tool. It is important to understand how to use the tool and its limitations.

@ NorCal

I designed the headspace eliminator primarily for the first 8 critical weeks of winemaking. I felt that this is the time period that you will constantly will have fallout and have to top off. It is also the most CO2 you will have in your wine - so this will be driven out of your wine and fill the remaining headspace with Co2 instead of that bit of oxygen left.

I can't see why it would not work for longer ? Just don't keep a steady vacuum on it for long periods of time as you might pull out some aromas. That was told to me as they overally degassed their wines using a straight vacuum at high pressure for extended periods of time.

You can always flood the headspace with CO2, argon, or any other gas to remove most if not all the oxygen by the time you pull a vacuum with the headspace eliminator.

No bad experiences yet - except the bulb sometimes will not go back into shape - heat the bulb under hot water and inside the bulb for less than 1 minute and you are ready to go again.

It works really well as it degasses the wine while using the headspace eliminator - forcing the Co2

BTW - This can also be used with a hand vacuum pump -

Steve,

I was not aware of the 8 week thing and have been using mine for bulk aging since I got them and as long as you keep a check on them (make sure you are still under vacuum) I've had no ill effects. I do try and not have any 1/2 filled carboys though.

Thanks dralarms -

Yes I figured that would be the case about bulk aging - especially if you are using the Allinonewinepump so you can't put more vacuum than it was intended for.

I have gotten several emails about others also bulk aging with the headspace eliminator with no issues.

I have 28 gallons of Chambourcin in 5 & 6 gallon carboys and about 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy with a headspace eliminator. It has all been aging for about 3 months now. It was time to track, so I pulled a sample from one or the full carboys and a sample from the 3 gallon. I asked my wife if she could detect any differences, I already knew I could not. Her only comment was that she liked the smell of one of them maybe just a little better and that was the one from the headspace eliminator. I could see no reason not to mix them all together and did so.

I bottled the partial Barbera carboy that I have for topping wine for my barrels today. It has been under the HSE for 4.5 months. Tasted and smelled fine. Great little addition to the tool set.

Last edited:
I have neglected my wine for 7 months, and finally had a racking day. The HE kept a vacuum the entire time (did not pull additional vacuum during that time).

Thanks to all of you who have commented on the Headspace Eliminator !

PLEASE if you get time please make a comment on my website to help other winemakers with what to do with additional headspace in their carboys -

http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/headspace-eliminator/

It appears that it definitely can be used for long term storage - I may have to update the description of the headspace Eliminator to include this.

I have cleared wine and I am adding oak cubes. What will be the effect of the vac. on the oak? Will in depart its flavor sooner, later, or have no effect? What your experience?
Thanks

I can't see how it would have any effect. You are only pulling a vacuum in the top of the carboy and it stays sealed. It is not a continuous flow.

Latest posts

Back