Restarting a stuck Fermentation Video

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
Here is a decent video from Scott Labs: [ame="http://vimeo.com/82114853"]Restarting a Stuck Fermentation[/ame]
Well worth the 4.32 mins.

Just click the blue button and it'll start.

Good link!

In my experience, if you're below 1.005 when it stops, you won't have the option they describe. You might get it down below 1.000 but it'll be watered down a bit and still slightly sweet.

Instead, I recommend ordering a new kit of the same (or very similar) kind. Split the new kit and the stuck wine into equal parts, mixing them into 2 fermenters. Now add nutrient and engergizer to the fermenters, and rehydrate 4 packets of EC-1118 using Fermaid according to the directions. Pitch the yeast equally into the fermenters. Both fermenters will take off and finish cleanly unless something is really crazy wrong with them.

I used this method last time I had a batch stop at 1.001 and both of the remedial batches finished at 0.995.

I just want to add that if you experience stuck fermentations more than 1 kit out of every 50 you really need to look hard at your process... unless you're using an aftermarket yeast that's known to be tricky.

Latest posts

Back