What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, my mother is staying with us, she has officially started calling the batch of DB based melomel that I made "my wine"....hmmmmm....she has taken control of it!!!
She loves it!
I'm drinking Amarone.

Tonight, I will have a bit of our 2012 Cabernet. I made this with OXV oak and it really brings out the black cherry of the cab! Simply YUM.

Had a glass of my Cinnamon Tea wine with some fish for supper, plan to have some "apple pie moonshine" a little later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

I'm envious that everyone is drinking wine they made. I have 36 gallons of wine in various stages of aging but nothing in a bottle yet. The plight of the newbie. So I carried in a Chinese roast duck and drank it with evening land Pinot Noir. A good combo.

2012 Chilean Malbec, this is my current favorite! Nice cherry and licorice taste!

Peach Raspberry Sangria and Wii U Legos Marvel SuperHeroes. We got our butts kicked. :-(

2012 CC Sterling CA Reserve Syrah. I had all kinds of concerns with this one (I tweaked it A LOT). After a year, I finally bottled it. Nearly dumped it a few times, but I'm glad I didn't. At 18 months, it's pretty good.

2012 CC Sterling CA Reserve Syrah. I had all kinds of concerns with this one (I tweaked it A LOT). After a year, I finally bottled it. Nearly dumped it a few times, but I'm glad I didn't. At 18 months, it's pretty good.

Glad to hear you didn't dump it, isn't it amazing how just a few more months makes such a big difference?

Enjoying some apple/ginger I made earlier this year and bottled for Thanksgiving. Allow me shout out to Joeswine for the juice of 1 fresh lemon during bulk suggestion.

I raise my glass to Big Bill Taylor, my best friend's dad, and just a swell guy. Probably ain't gonna see Monday, I think he's 85.

Glad to hear you didn't dump it, isn't it amazing how just a few more months makes such a big difference?

It really is. Several months back, I had had my last taste of the CC Showcase Red Mountain Trio I had started around the same time as that Syrah. I had some more of it over the weekend. It was so good at 1year that I stashed a case away. At 18 months, so much better!

It really is. Several months back, I had had my last taste of the CC Showcase Red Mountain Trio I had started around the same time as that Syrah. I had some of that over the weekend. It was so good at 1year that I stashed a case away. At 18 months, so much better.

I had a moscato, it was a Chilean juice bucket, at one year it was ok but not great, so I did not get another one last spring, well at 18 months this stuff is screaming, needless to say I am sorry I did not pick up another juice bucket but I'm getting one this spring and it will sit for 18 months.

Tonight I'm drinking the MM Renaissance Impressions Barolo. I pitched the yeast on this kit August, 11, 2012. I put it in bulk aging September 16th. And I finally bottled it June 30, 2013. So, that makes about sixteen months of age at this point. The color is reminiscent of a Pinot Noir. It is medium to full bodied. On the nose I get red fruit, cherries, raspberries, a little strawberry. On the pallet I don't get the tannins that I was expecting from a Barolo. It is very smooth and balanced, though. All in all, I'm very pleased with this wine so far. I imagine it will continue to improve with age.

An update on my MM Impressions Barolo. After decanting for 24 hours this has opened up beautifully. NOW I get all those gripping tannins I was missing last night!

I usually try to decant all my wines for at least two hours before drinking. This shows me why. Damn, I love this wine!

En Primeur Amarone. I just bottled this yesterday. 28 bottles and 4 splits. I had an additional 3/4 of a split leftover. I closed it up with my VacuVin and let it sit until about 3 hours ago, when I poured it into a decanter. Holy cow! There is still a slight bite, but this wine is awesome. I'm probably going to box up most of it and let it sit for a year if I can stand it.

The kit came with dried skins and raisins. I put the raisins in secondary a la Joeswine. It also got time in the Vadai and roughly 4 grams of Tancor Grand Cru.

Speaking of Joeswine, I am sipping his Coffee Port today. Heaven!

Joe's Coffee Port is excellent. I was lucky enough to get a bottle. It was my first experience with port wine. I now have two ports bulk aging.

Last night, I enjoyed one of the few remaining bottles of my gold medal winning German Muller-Thurgau. Slightly off-dry. Beautiful balance. Delightfully fruity. I see why the judges liked it.

Back