How to Use Vacuum to Degas More Than One Carboy at a Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
I am sure that sooner of later one of you is gonna find the videos I have posted. So, I decided to just beat you to it and post one of them here. Dont laugh toooo much.

Degassing with a vacuum

RR

Last edited:
RR, I really enjoyed the videos. Thanks for posting.

I have a some questions:

What was the "sanitizer" that you used? I noticed that you did not rinse after sanitizing. Why not?

I noticed that there was what appeared to be water in the overflow on your vacuum pump. Is this required or does it make the process work better?

If I understand your experiment, you were trying to see if there was a difference in the wines using fresh or frozen cranberries. What differences were you seeking? taste? time to ferment? appearance? ABV? Other? It also seems to me that your wine made in the blender alternative had about half of its juice from the "extra" wine that you brewed from cranberry juice.

I really like the stand that your built. Where did you get all the parts? I think we have the same or at least similar vacuum pump. My only issue with mine is the location of the on/off switch. Yours seems more convenient or did you alter that somehow?

Thanks again for the videos. I think things like this are great for the forum and I wish there was more of such postings.

RR, I really enjoyed the videos. Thanks for posting.

I have a some questions:

What was the "sanitizer" that you used? I noticed that you did not rinse after sanitizing. Why not?

I use a probuct called 'Star San.' I mix a couple gallons at a time and keep it in an Igloo cooler, one with a spigot. I like it cuz you dont have to rinse.

I noticed that there was what appeared to be water in the overflow on your vacuum pump. Is this required or does it make the process work better?

I feel if I am not anticipating much overflow with what I am doing the water reduces the total volume of air there is to evacuate. Kinda speeds things up.

If I understand your experiment, you were trying to see if there was a difference in the wines using fresh or frozen cranberries. What differences were you seeking? taste? time to ferment? appearance? ABV? Other? It also seems to me that your wine made in the blender alternative had about half of its juice from the "extra" wine that you brewed from cranberry juice.

All the above. Let me explain. I am very new to this. I was just interested as to the difference in the two methods of juice extraction. As for the total amount I racked off the one that I blended, the lees held alot of juice. If I was to wait I am sure it would have settled more. Taste, they taste similar. Color, the blended one is darker.I think it is from the seeds. Specific Gravity, the blended one had higher SG the next morning ( I added sugar to 1.090 for both). Fermentation time, they were the same. Conclusion, freeze and chop with slicing blade in food processor.

I really like the stand that your built. Where did you get all the parts?
I ordered the valve online and welded the stand part form stuff I had. If you want I can PM you the link to the valve. I was asked not to post links to "non-site venders." I think it was like $45.

I think we have the same or at least similar vacuum pump. My only issue with mine is the location of the on/off switch. Yours seems more convenient or did you alter that somehow?
I picked up that pump off Ebay and have not altered it in any way. If you wanted I am sure you could put a switch inline on the power cord.

Thanks again for the videos. I think things like this are great for the forum and I wish there was more of such postings.

YouTube is a great tool. I tend to go there before I RTFM anymore I plan on doing more videos, good and bad, as I get farther into this hobby.

RR

Thank you for the video. I'm a visual learner so that works well for me, Did most of my research on youtube before registering here, however forums are a great communication tool for hashing things out in niches :)

Latest posts

Back