OSHA and wineries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://secure.spurgeonvineyards.com/About_Us_Glen.cfm

Sounds to me like Glen should have taken, at least, a 30 hour General Industry OSHA certification course somewhere along the line. Good advice for anyone that's thinking about going commercial. While the $71K fine can be bargained down (Though, second violations are harder to bargain.), the repairs and training will cost lost production time and $. My guess he'll be out $20K - $30K when all is said and done.

Hokapsig, what's your guess?

My experience tells me if he does it right and is able to question the citations, he may get out at less than $20K. I was able to knock down a $12K citation to right around $1K, but the company STILL wouldn't sign off because they thought it was thier right to put workers at risk. I told him he was now on his own. I could do no more for him.

Just be careful using the consulting services offered by OSHA. They will come out and point out issues that the company must address and they give you an abatement date. If the company does not abate within that period, they can be subject to fines and citations. Companies must customize thier plans to fit the company's activities.

I've done a fair amount of consulting for wineries . typicaly the highest risk items are confined spaces , co2 , conveyors / machine guarding , forklifts , so2 exposure . in the vineyard its machine and agricultural chemicals .

this is a good guidebook .

http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/health_and_safety/by_topic/assets/pdf/wineries_h&s.pdf

I usually ask the winery to read it and do a bit of a self check before I come over and have alook . it ensures we are both starting to speak the same language.

CALOSHA can be a bit jackbooted , but when you put together an improvement plan and can show progress then they start working with you .

I just don't understand why a company would ignore the warnings. You KNOW they are comming back...

I don't understand why we are commenting on a two year old thread? (Although I have recently been guilty of the same action.)

Latest posts

Back