beet wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made beet wine years ago but I always thought it tasted "earthy". To be more exact, it tasted like dirt. Any ideas on how to eliminate that taste?
Yes, I did wash and peel the beets before processing.
Thanks.

I made a Sugar Beet wine 3yrs. ago [still have some left], it had that " earthy" smell and taste to it also....After about two yrs. and many rackings the taste is gone, but the last I checked the smell was still there.....Let's see what kind of ideas are out there to get rid the "earthyness"...
smiley19.gif

ps. It's in the bottle now...

That is why I don't like beets at all....they taste like dirt....love the greens though.....

Bert how about pinching your nose with your fingers, close your eyes and sip it gently. Pretend that earthiness is a good pinot more.
smiley4.gif

The smell is gone, is a very nice looking white wine...but still that earthy taste, not one of my better wines..lol...
smiley18.gif

I would try adding some red grape concentrate and a little tannin

the addition of fruit zest would naturally mask the task you have now,but like I stated beets are Best left unto themselves,stewed,or marinated there just fine,
smiley31.gif

Maybe I can just mix it with some orange juice....will have to try that...

smiley2.gif
try the zest of the orange first or a grapefruit ..you'll be surprised
smiley4.gif

The sugar beets were there, had the recipe, had to try it....one never knows until you try...
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back