How to Degas-Electric Vacuum Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
There are a few ways to do this using different attachments. First thing you need is the pump.
VacuumPump.jpg

If you use 3 pce airlocks then this would be one way to attach it.
Hoseinto3pceAirlock.jpg

If you have an S-type airlock then it could be done this way.
HoseintoS-typeairlock.jpg

If you have a fitting like this and it actually came with my Hand brake bleeder then this is another way to do it.
HoseintoMulti-fitBung.jpg

The easiest way I have found to degas a wine so far is to slowly bring the vacuum up to around 12"-15" right before it starts pulling foam up into your bung and shut the unit off leaving the vacuum pressure right where it is so there is constant vacuum on the wine for about 20 minutes. Then i come down and release the vacuum because my unit(maybe all) wont start back up with a vacuum being pulled (to much for the motor to start) and then bring the vacuum up to the point where it is just shy again of the bung again and shut it off leaving the vacuum on again for about 1 hour.
At this point release the vacuum again and start back up and just keep it going for awhile right where it stays below the bung and slowly bring it up until you are around 20" and then shut it off. If it will stay at that vacuum or only drops to 18" in 15 minutes then you are done. NO sweating and hand pumping, just the flick of a switch and the turn of a knob and this works much faster and better.

Latest posts

Back