sake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
I would like to try making 5 gallons of Japanese sake. I was surfing and it seems like the recipes are all over the place. Can anyone give me a recipe and instructions to follow and it appears that there is a difference between sake and rice wine. Is there?
John

John, take that link, scroll to bottom, there is a recipe link in the table of contents :)

Last edited:
The only thing I have is a recipe out of First Steps in Windmaking by C. J. J. Berry for "Rice and Raisin" wine:

Raisins (I would used white raisins) 2.25 lbs.
Rice (long grain) 3.25 lbs.
Sugar 7.5 lbs
Citric Acid 2 T
Yeast 1 packet
Nutrient 3 t
Water 3 gal

Dissolve sugar in some heated water taken form the 3 gallons. Allow to cool and pour over the rice and raisins (do not chop of mince the raisins). Then add the acid and remaining water and sprinkle on the yeast and yeast nutrient. Stir and leave in warm place. Stir daily for 21 days, then strain through a fine sieve into 3 one gallon (or 1 3-gallon) carboys fitted with airlocks. Keep the carboys in a warm place until fermentation is complete. It can be filtered and it is ready to drink immediately. If it is not drunk with in 2 months, add 1/8 t of k meta and let sit for 9 months.

Do not discard the pulp from the straining step. It can be made into a lighter wine. Dissolve 8 lbs of sugar in 1 gallon of hot water and pour onto the rice/raisin pulp. Add 1.5 gallons of cold water, 1 oz (2 T) of citric acid and fresh yeast. Follow the procedure of the first batch.

Please note that I have never made this wine but it sounds like a good recipe and you can get a lot of wine out of it.

Thank you all. I'm glad I found this site. I'd be lost and would have probably given up by now if I didn't.
John

Latest posts

Back