Cellar Craft CC Showcase Austrian Zweigelt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wctisue

Reaction score
I've got many favortite kits and make them in a rotation so I've always got what I like. Add in a few limited edition kits and just not enough carboys to try them all. After perusing the FVW catalog I ordered the CC Showcase Austrian Zweigelt - with "Crushed Grape pack". The description is:

Austria’s most widely planted red is a cross between St. Laurent and Blaufrankisch. It has gained favour because of its appealing fruit and spice character, likened to a Cotes-Du-Rhône. It is also cold hardy and early ripening – important traits in the cool Austrian vineyards.

This Zweigelt produces dark, dense wine without excessive weight. Dark cherry in colour. An opulent bouquet of red fruit, including raspberry, cherry and currant, stands against a background of vanilla, black pepper and a hint of licorice. There is also a certain earthiness on the nose that provides a compelling counter-balance to the lively fruit and spice. The flavours echo the cherry, currant and earthy aromatics. The initially rustic tannins quickly mellow into a nicely structured state and contribute to a nice, long finish.

I swear you could smear that grape skins package on toast -- sweet and jammy! Initial SG @ 1.090. I always taste the must as it comes out of the bag -- lots of the cherry and currant along with the intense grape taste.

All my carboys are full so I'll have plenty of time to let this one bulk age for at least six months.

Wayne

I just finished this up and its now happily bulk aging. First taste was fantastic. I'll bulk age it for a least a year before bottling or kegging.
VC

I would also like to know. I have purchased this wine in Austria and found it to be great. Made kits before and found it to my liking. Cellar Craft had stopped producing it. I would enjoy making it again. please provide your source.

I don't think you will get an answer, the O.P. has not been on since 2012. The thread is almost 8 years old!!

Bill

Well, I saw that it was an old thread, and I also saw that @Hemigod is a brand-new poster, AND I also like Zweigelt. So I decided to try to help out, and went searching all of the usual suspects for this kit. I came up empty. EC Krauss seems to have carried it recently, but it is not on their website now.

Latest posts

Back