Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amarone vacuumn pumpman style

vman nice job on this kit ,good all the way around and a good job of thinking outside the box, my friend.

IMG_20170228_163143397.jpg

We had Jim's RJS RQ Monastrell Petit Verdot last night after a full day of knocking doors for the campaign. This was a fantastic wine - hearty, fully bodied, surprisingly big nose. Pepper and black fruit flavors.

Awesome.

We had Jim's RJS RQ Monastrell Petit Verdot last night after a full day of knocking doors for the campaign. This was a fantastic wine - hearty, fully bodied, surprisingly big nose. Pepper and black fruit flavors.

Awesome.

Me Jim? Interesting. That's one that I've been sitting on, just waiting for it to come around. It's almost 3 years old now - been in the bottle for 2. I just put a case on the rack a couple weeks ago thinking 'it's now or never for this stuff'.

Glad you enjoyed.

Me Jim? Interesting. That's one that I've been sitting on, just waiting for it to come around. It's almost 3 years old now - been in the bottle for 2. I just put a case on the rack a couple weeks ago thinking 'it's now or never for this stuff'.

Glad you enjoyed.

Yes, you! I would have decanted it if I had time. Just aerated it into the glass instead. It was remarkably good. And the second glass was better than the first.

I'd say it's ready!

Curiosity got the better of me tonight and I opened one of these, knowing that it'd be two weeks before I have a chance to do so again (at this point, I say 'screw lent' :) ). You're right about the nose - pretty nice and distinctively 'European'. This is definitely not a fruit bomb and is pretty well rounded. Still a biting acidity that bothers me a bit, but perhaps that's just the intended style. It has definitely fallen back, though I'd like it to go a bit more. This is a good food wine though. Thanks for the review. I'm going to consume sparingly and see what another 6-12 months does for this.

Last edited:
Curiosity got the better of me tonight and I opened one of these, knowing that it'd be two weeks before I have a chance to do so again (at this point, I say 'screw lent' :) ). You're right about the nose - pretty nice and distinctively 'European'. This is definitely not a fruit bomb and is pretty well rounded. Still a biting acidity that bothers me a bit, but perhaps that's just the intended style. It has definitely fallen back, though I'd like it to go a bit more. This is a good food wine though. Thanks for the review. I'm going to consume sparingly and see what another 6-12 months does for this.

Distinctively European - that's a great way to describe the nose. Really, I wish they'd do that kit again. I'd buy a couple.

@bkisel had given me a bottle of his soon to be famous apple wine when I was up with my brothers to open our cabin located in his neck of the woods. I held off on opening it because my wife wanted to enjoy it, and she had her Chemistry final coming up, so this morning at 6:24 a.m., she texted me to let me know it was "apple wine night" (She had finished her final on Tuesday).

As you can see from the picture below, there is no wine left in that bottle I mentioned above. I opened it and poured a glass for me and my wife as I was about to dice some leftover pork loin for some quickie pork lo mein (neighbor friend of my daughter was invited over to have pizza and my chances of getting a piece of pizza look slim to none).

The bottle was empty before I had a chance to taste my lo mein (took maybe 10 minutes to make?). My wife's comment was "seriously addicting". 1) I have never seen her drink a glass of wine that fast. 2) I have never gotten a seriously addicting comment and I'm about to start batch #44!

When I first opened it, I was worried about too much back sweetening, knowing that Bill's wife likes a sweeter wine. No problem with this one. Perfectly balanced with acidity/apple flavor/sweetness (not really sweet at all)/cinnamon (which lasts for some time after finishing the glass, but not overpowering at all). Once this site came back up, I found that he back sweetens with brown sugar, apple concentrate and bulk ages with a cinnamon stick.

Excellent wine that my wife will expect him to bring another bottle with him if he visits (hopefully with his wife or Varis or someone else) when we go to the cabin again next month. Of course I will supply either a lunch or dinner to help pry a bottle away from him.

Excellent wine Bill! Thank you again.

Edit: There is definitely some alcohol in this one, no wonder my wife is so happy (she's actually dusting right now, she never does that on a Friday evening).

5-12-17_bkisel-apple-wine.JPG

Last edited:
ceeaton said:
@bkisel had given me a bottle of his soon to be famous apple wine...

Craig, I actually would have like to have given you a peach wine but my wife insists the peach can't leave the house - she likes it that much. You and Varis and your spouses will have to come over here sometime to try the peach. [I'm not at all joking, my usually generous and considerate wife doesn't want me to gift any of "HER" peach wine! A number of times I've asked her for just a sip and I usually get the pat response ... "You've got your red wine."]

Craig, I actually would have like to have given you a peach wine but my wife insists the peach can't leave the house - she likes it that much. You and Varis and your spouses will have to come over here sometime to try the peach. [I'm not at all joking, my usually generous and considerate wife doesn't want me to gift any of "HER" peach wine! A number of times I've asked her for just a sip and I usually get the pat response ... "You've got your red wine."]

I get that one from my wife from time to time, especially with the blueberry and her cranberry chianti. I occasionally sneak a bottle out since she doesn't keep count. You'll just have to give me (or direct me to) your recipe for that one. We are in a great location for local peaches, hoping the late frost didn't damage the flowers this Spring.

Again, I'm enjoying a wine produced by @heatherd . This time, it's a Traminette made from juice from Harford Vineyard and Winery. Excellent wine, and every bit as wonderful as the Traminette the growers themselves produce. Way to go!

So I'm drinking a 2013 LE Shiraz Cabernet that ceeaton left here a couple weeks ago. I believe it's BBJim's.

Not as big a wine as I would have thought with two big grapes, but it is very good. Ripe cherry, red fruit palate. Nice complexity with moderate tannins. Medium bodied and colored, with just a little brick tint to it. Guessing it got a little time in the barrel - 3-6 months.

Thank you for being here to celebrate the 4th with me.

Latest posts

Back