Pear Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned this one up a bit so it was easier to read the recipe.

96 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Pear fruit base (rated to make 3-5 gallons)
1/2 gallon of Home Winery Pear concentrate (rated to make 5 gallons)
5 lbs frozen then thawed pears
12-15 lbs of wildflower honey
water to 6 gallons

3 grams FT Blanc Soft
7 grams Booster Blanc
6 grams Opti White

Mix the above and let sit for 12 hours.

Add:
4 tsp of pectic enzyme

Let sit for 24 hours.

I pitched 2 packets of EC-1118 yeast on this.

At 10 months, I added 2 oz of chopped fresh ginger and 2 oz heavy toasted oak.

eta: I added the cardamom pods here and there...usually around five at a time. I crushed them lightly.
In total, about 10 to 15 were probably added

You have got to be one of the more creative winemakers. Your recipes and tweaks are awesome and unique.

I have 6 gal. of pear wine, from pressed pears, aging now. I may have to try the cardamom, never thought of that. I am probably going to split my batch into a 3 gal. and 3 - 1 gal. carboys to experiment with.

I saw that you originally wanted to add pineapple juice to the mix. Seeing how well it turned out, do you still think the pineapple would have helped out?

I think this is going to be the next batch i start.

You have got to be one of the more creative winemakers. Your recipes and tweaks are awesome and unique.

I have 6 gal. of pear wine, from pressed pears, aging now. I may have to try the cardamom, never thought of that. I am probably going to split my batch into a 3 gal. and 3 - 1 gal. carboys to experiment with.

Thanks! I have to thank @WVMountaineerJack for the idea of adding oak. I never would have thought of that one on my own.
I do definitely think it needed it and added something overall.

I saw that you originally wanted to add pineapple juice to the mix. Seeing how well it turned out, do you still think the pineapple would have helped out?

I think this is going to be the next batch i start.

I think it probably would have been fine with the pineapple addition. My batch definitely needed something to add a bit of zing to it, hence the ginger addition. I do think that pineapple could possibly take the place of that same flavor profile, once you get past the sweetness of pineapple.

Are you at all familiar with the Indian spice, garam masala? If you add pineapple with pear and cardamom, I think garam masala would be absolutely divine with it.

Latest posts

Back