Looking for input on pH and TA meters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
We are just getting started with a vineyard and wine making and are looking for a meter or meters to analyze pH and TA in our grapes. Yes we probably waited too long but...... lol.
We have about 75 vines producing a small (first) crop this year but have planted a larger vineyard with plans to expand on that next year. A small winery is our ultimate goal in a few years. So we of course want quality products that will stand the test of time and be accurate. I have looked at a Hanna pH TA meter.
Does anyone have any input or advice on pH and TA meters? We have decent Brix meter.
Thanks
Brigitte

thank you Johnd for responding to my post. I will check the vinmetrica out!

I just got a Vinmetrica SC 300A also, but so far I've only tested the SO2 levels.

We use a Vinmetrica SC 300 and it does all that we need. Excellent customer service if needed.

Also planning on the SC300 full kit to keep in the winery lab but also purchased one of the inexpensive pen types for informal measurements like when testing fruit etc in the field or tasting commercial wines.

Cheers!
-jb

I'd get the best pH mete you can afford. Automatic temperature calibration is very worth it. I went two years having to adjust for temp and finally spent the $$. I should have done it originally. Auto-calibration is really neat to. Beats fiddling with knobs or doing slope calculations. Make sure you get one accurate to .01pH, not one that just has the digits, but is actually accurate to that. Remember pH is a log scale so 3 is ten times more acidic than 4. That is why the small numbers matter. IMHO

I use the pH meter for titration, it makes it a snap. As you should get both numbers it is a nice synergy.

I have one of the original Vinmetrica SO2 meters and can vouch for its quality and their customer service, just don't know about their other meters.

Hanna makes a very good lab grade meter. You might try eBay. Often you can find a good surplus meter that with a new probe is as good as new.

@Johny99-we opted for a Hanna meter and love it! You have some very good advice. I have figured out the acid titration and ph and am confident with this meter. However we also got the Hanna SO2 meter and she's a hot mess lol. Still working on that one! Have called tech support a couple of times. May go to the university close by and get some help.

Latest posts

Back