So2 checker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
What is the best type of so2 checker to buy? Even after using the all in one wine pump a couple of times on the same batch I still have.carbonation to my wine. What am I doing wrong and what kind of checker can I purchase?

I assume you mean CO2. There are CO2 measuring devices used in fountain pop machines but I've never seen one that is cheap enough to justify.

The most important tip for degassing is to keep the temp high. My experience is that even the most stubborn batch will give up the gas if you warm it over 25 degrees C.

Thanks. I did mean co2. That is probably my problem. The temp in my basement is usually in the mid 60's

There are no CO2 "checkers" except for your tongue! Your problem is your wine is too cold as stated above. It needs to be 72-74 to degas and held at that time for whatever time it takes to clear and degas. Use a brew belt or heating pad to warm it up and keep it warm until clear and degassed then let it fall to room temp.

Latest posts

Back