The variety of bottles, whats your favorite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
so as we approach the time for bottling there becomes alot of options for which type and kind of bottles. which are your favorite and why.

Im currently on my first wine kit which is happily brewing in secondary and im considering bottles for the aftermath. can standard screw cap liquor bottles and wine bottles be reused. I already have some is why i ask, of cource someday ill invest in a corcker and new bottles but for the mean time id like to reuse what i got!

Yes you can reuse wine bottles. It is not advisable to reuse screw top bottles with corks as the neck is thinner and is prone to break putting in and taking out the cork. My favorite bottle is the heavy green one's with punt bottoms. People that use bottling wands hate them though as it makes their job harder. My least favorite is the amber and blue bottles.

Runningwolf said:
Yes you can reuse wine bottles. It is not advisable to reuse screw top bottles with corks as the neck is thinner and is prone to break putting in and taking out the cork. My favorite bottle is the heavy green one's with punt bottoms. People that use bottling wands hate them though as it makes their job harder. My least favorite is the amber and blue bottles.

awesome! things are going smoothly so far and its good to know i got bottles ready to go. and great point, some bottles are just not meant for corks then. Which brings me to my next question, how do you know which bottles take which corks? my kit came with corks but im looking over the instructions and not seeing any indication of their size. if its helpful my kit is a vino italiano Barolo red wine and the corks say VS1 on them. Are there any good ways to know which bottles take whick corks?

Well if you have a floor corker you can pretty much use any cork BUT You should only use #9 x 1 3/4" corks. Using a #8 would likely leak easier then a #9 if there was a problem or internal pressure. If you're using a hand corker though using #8 makes the job much easier as they are harder to use then floor corkers.

Latest posts

Back