Hi from Gateshead in the UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aftermath

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join up to here.

i am a newbie and just started 3 , 5 gallon kits.

i am interested to know why the alcohol volume is not advertised on the wine kits ?

or are they alcohol free kits that need to be added something ?

they are the California connoisseur and Beaverdale kits

Welcome to the forum. The alcohol varies with the amount of sugar that is in the kit. You can make it higher by adding sugar to the kit. You should have a hydrometer. with it, measure the specific gravity and there should be a chart that comes with the hydrometer that tells you the approximate potential alcohol. When fermenting, you take a reading at the beginning of the ferment and another at the end. There are several theads on here that tell you how to calculate the abv. Arne.

Don't forget to post pics of your first projects.
Pics or it didn't happen.
You will get lots of good advice here.
Good luck!

Welcome to a great forum. As Arne mentioned, the alcohol content varies a bit from kit to kit and depends on how dry you ferment, but typically kits will give you around 12 % ABV.
The formula I use for determining this number is the starting SG minus the finishing SG multiplied by 133. For instance if you start at 1.085 and finish at 0.996, your alcohol content is 1.085-0.996 x 133 = 11.8%.
Good vinting!

Welcome to the forum. Gateshead was the home of Daniel Defoe, one of my favorite writers from my boyhood (which was a heck of a long time ago!).

Latest posts

Back