Splash rack or stir like crazy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I too have a batch that is stinkier than normal. Not too overly concerned, but I am at 1.025 now and will be transfering in a few days and would like to solve this if I can. I don't have another ferment bucket, but as was mentioned in Hectors post, I am concerned, so I whipped the hell out of it, will that theoretically do the same as splash racking? I hope so.

The cats and I are starting to look at each other funny, I have had some stinky wines, but this one is a little more than usual. Not scared yet, but thought I would ask.

Troy

Whipping it in the carboy will not work as well as spalsh racking from bucket to bucket lets much more of the smell out. If you really believe that its an H2S problem then stir witha copper pipe or some copper wire.

I can come up with some copper tubing like you use for plumbing, we have some of that out here somewhere. But what is this I hear about the dangers of this.

And actually Wade, this is in a bucket, so I took the whip to it and whipped the hell out of it. Thats easy enough to do. Would rather not do the copper thing if there is any risk involved. that kind of stuff scares me.

Copper pipe won't hurt you. You're thinking of copper sulfate, which is poisonous if you use too much. It's sometimes sold as root killer in ag stores. nasty business, that.

You want to make sure the pipe's clean for sure. The acidic wine will remove whatever is on the surface of the pipe in short order. When I did this I bought new pipe, washed it with hot water and soap, and then let it sit in a carboy of star-san until it turned pink. Used it immediately before it had a chance to oxidize.

Actually whipping(not stirring) the snot out of it seems to have done the trick, it is no where neara as bad as it was a few hours back whne I posted this.

Troy, Live and learn. Who woulda thunk it.. NOW the question is WHY did it happen???

My good buddy Steve brought me a bumber sticker last week. It says, "Squeeze me, press me, MAKE ME WINE" LOL

Latest posts

Back